Scalping

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nayadj, Feb 14, 2007.

1. me1969

me1969

That's a nice one. Doing it this way a long time and maybe you get into the flow - which pays for all hard times...

#11     Feb 15, 2007
  2. nayadj

nayadj

thanks for the input guys..

So what kind of indices do you guys look at usually, besides for the ones i had mentioned before...

#12     Feb 15, 2007
  3. Good one!

Im my case, when i started on the market i was looking all the time at the money and sometimes i was forgetting the purpose of the trade.. The results wasn't good at all, of course..

I started to be profitable when i forget the money and just trade the setup.
    Of course is not easy but is the only way to start see the money came into the account.

Currently, I do scalp on ES, ZN, ZB, CL, EURUSD, USDJPY, NQ and ER2.

#13     Feb 15, 2007
  4. Hoodoo, thanks for being so frank. Could you tell us what your 'edge' was? I find it a very unclear concept, and most won't talk about it for fear of giving it away, but since your's is not working anymore you might want to explain it to us.

Some mean by 'edge' some special 'effect' in the market they discovered and exploit. Others mean a personal winning 'mood' or virtuosity that can hardly be explained.

Thanks, would be interested,

Ursa..

#14     Feb 15, 2007
  5. an edge means you have the ability to recognize market conditions that allow a trade entry at that level to have positive expectancy.

it's that simple

there are all kinds of edges .

and edge is also a wholistic concept. a hyooge part of my edge has NOTHING to do with trade analysis itself (iow, decisions as to entry/exit, market analysis etc.). it has to do with understanding how to manage risk

the vast majority of traders trade emotionally, irrationally, and impulsively.

NOT being those three things is an edge in and of itself

#15     Feb 15, 2007
  6. ammo

ammo

market profile and knowing your trendlines is a great advantage,othe than that the 15 and 30 minute charts,hand charting the spus,{es}keeps you in touch with the market but it gives you a micro view,you must know the trendlines for macro view,helps you keep perspective,when trading oil it moves so fast you sort of trade it like a pingpong ball,knowing where the support or res lines are ,its best when its bouncing off of one,williams % lets you know when volume is decreasing on rallys,its like making soup,put in what you like,whats works good for you..it helps if you turn down the volume on cnbc,thier opinions can be about last week or 3 months ago and your trading this second,you dont need the distraction,if something happens you,ll see the movement in your mrkt first and you can turn it up..not trading is one of the best trades...it doesnt lower your profits,run up your commish or reuce your confidence

#16     Feb 15, 2007
  7. My edge was a very unusual one but if I'm in a group usually one person will claim that they knew about it when it was happening. Island ecn was telegraphing buy signals.

I discovered it purely by chance and it was the holy grail for me for a while. If you look at some of my very first posts you can read about it.

#17     Feb 15, 2007
  8. Ok, thanks very much,

So in this case your edge was a 'dicovery', rather than an 'ability' by the trader, like I think is the way whitster uses it.

Ursa..

#18     Feb 16, 2007
  9. Lets put it this way. It didn't take any indicators or even a chart. So it probably didn't take any ability either. Right. :D

Every good deed never goes unpunished:D

#19     Feb 16, 2007