Scalping with Oanda , any problem ?

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by Surprise, Jun 5, 2009.

1. You're so right about that! When I think of the time (and money!) it took me to develop my trading style it's hard to change, and then perhaps to have to go through the whole learning and tweaking process again, I don't think I've got the energy to do all that again.

I'm not so sure about stop hunting but their live quotes have definitely got very strange lately. Rather than stop-hunting spikes their quotes are often too 'smoothed' now and even lag behind their own FXGame prices as well as other platforms. Not tradeable though, they fill at market price so no arb opportunities unfortunately.

It's interesting that they claim to be STP but it's not clear who their liquidity provider is, maybe it's a set-up like MBTrading and 3DForex?

I also see that Stop/Limit is still available on individual tickets so it's anyone's guess how they plan on handling the FIFO rule, one of their reps on the Oanda forums said nothing is going to change apparently.

As usual when it comes to retail forex brokers, everything's as clear as mud :)

#31     Jul 13, 2009
  2. I too suspect a similar set up between oanda and mbt.

My feeling about the "smoothed prices" could be due to the correction of prices policy ?

Oanda is still very attractive as a low cost broker though, albeit the current situation. They make everybody else seem so expensive to trade with.

#32     Jul 13, 2009
  3. I thought exactly the same thing, it's timing seemed to conveniently coincide with the new rule.

I think they've over-compensated though, maybe they'll adjust things back a bit.....hopefully :)

#33     Jul 13, 2009
  4. Surprise

Surprise

Lagged prices is a real problem , u will never know if the spread on the euro is 0.9 pip or 2 pips !

#34     Jul 13, 2009
  5. they have been slow but responsive so far, I am pretty sure adjustments will be made, just hope that they won't mess up the stability of the platform again...

#35     Jul 13, 2009
  6. actually in a OTC market, there is never a real price, between 0.9 to 2 pips is still fine and manageble. Scary part is getting slipped many points away from market average leaving you in the dust. But has never happen to me though.

#36     Jul 13, 2009
  7. Surprise

Surprise

I gave example only maybe the slippage is 1 pip per side , and if their spread on the euro is 2 pips no need to use Oanda , at least for me ...

#37     Jul 13, 2009
  8. This doesn't bother me too much as long as I'm filled at market. I keep about 3-4 different feeds active on my charting so I know when the market is moving.

Relying on just Oanda's feed for short term trading could be make it rather tough.

#38     Jul 17, 2009
  9. I'm using MT4 for charting so like you I see where prices are roughly, it's not acceptable for a company like Oanda though, they should at least be able to maintain a reliable connection and price feed!

Someone over on their forums did a video of FXTrade and FXGame side-by-side, watch the difference around 40-seconds and 1-minute-40 in!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bWSThvuDkB8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bWSThvuDkB8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#39     Jul 18, 2009
  10. WTF ???!!!!!

#40     Jul 20, 2009