Scalping US stocks from Asia - latency of internet

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pragmatic-trader, May 9, 2020.

1. Is there anyone that has tried to scalp stocks from another continent? How does the extra 200ms-500ms latency impact performance and ability to make money?

2. kreskos

kreskos

Affects not very positive. Sometimes the delay values can increase to 700, and more, so I would not advise.

3. Turveyd

Turveyd

SpaceX's internet via satellites is supposed to be quick, might find it's got a faster ping time then your local internet, be a year or 2 before it's working I guess mind :(

If you scalp with Limit orders and expect a lot won't fill rather than risk getting laggy badly priced market orders, then exit the same via limit order, if should be okay, as that limit will sit on a fast US server. How I trade just due to no reflexes / 2nd guessing when the trade is there.

Still a delayed DOM if you using that mind.

4. Thanks. You've tried to do it yourself?

5. They

They

Define scalp.

It all depends on your definition of scalping.

6. Setup from the 2 minute chart with timing of entry by DOM and tape

7. They

They

You haven't mentioned your holding time or profit targets which are the real qualifiers for a trade being a scalp.

If you are trading stocks with high liquidity and entering by buying the ask/selling the bid, you will most likely get those prices without any slippage. I have traded futures from Singapore, Malaysia, France and Andorra and never had any problems giving up a few hundred milliseconds. Holding times were 10 seconds to a few minutes.

pragmatic-trader and birdman like this.
  8. Precisely the answer I was looking for.

9. kreskos

kreskos

Yes, there was a moment when I tried to work in this way.

pragmatic-trader likes this.
  10. easymon1

easymon1

congrats on living the life. go man go.

#10     May 13, 2020