Scalping off the Tick Chart? Bid, Ask or Last?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by achilles28, Dec 6, 2012.

Which tick charts are best for scalping?

1. Bid?

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Ask?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Last?

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Doesnt matter?

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. achilles28

achilles28

Is it instrument specific? Or does it matter?

ES? YM? CL? 6E?

2. birdman

birdman

I see the question was raised 6 years ago without much discussion.

For stocks and ETFs, what are the ramifications of charting the bid instead of the last? I've done both with market orders only and think i prefer the "bid". Just curious as to what others think?

3. Nobert

Nobert

Does it matter that much, if the stock/etf, is highly liquid and the spreads are tiny?

like if i would be scalping in 1 min chart AMD with 1000 shares, what do you think?

4. birdman

birdman

@Nobert - I'm with you. I can't see how it matters much. I just wanted to get a few more opinions. Some of our friends here know way way more than me. Always good to pick their brains. Sometimes i overlook facts obvious to others.

Nobert likes this.
  5. Nobert

Nobert

Yup im only asking as well, all i do is paper trading and thought, maybe there is something ,, special & dangerous " in bids and asks, that i might be completely unaware of ( using market orders 95% of the time ).

6. birdman

birdman

Yep, if you use a target price exit, sometimes independent of an indicator sell signal, you might find the bid advantageous. On large market orders of highly liquid stocks and ETFs, i typically get filled at half a cent less than bid. Of course, might depend upon your platform, i use TOS.

Nobert likes this.