Scalping: Is this consider a qualilty method of trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NJ1000, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Ok I see what you're saying.

But still - think about this - if this pattern continues, it becomes extra easy to make money - trade the range! If you know the stock wont go more than 5 cents because of the newbies, go against the trend at that point. And with bigger liquidity get on board with more shares - 5k, 10k etc. and just make the little trades.

Otherwise I have to agree with you - sometimes I am myself fed up with the nitwits that trade the market. So - to good trading

Cheers,

(AT)

#41     Oct 2, 2003
  2. DaveN

DaveN

AT and Mecro,

Great points and observations! I find myself making exasperated statements at my monitors all day long. Things like, "Oh no, you FOOLS, don't start pounding it NOW, let it "breathe" and move a little more!!!!"

As long as the stock you're trading can handle the bigger size, then I completely agree about trader larger positions for smaller pieces.

#42     Oct 3, 2003
  3. Do you believe that the $50,000 $75,000 scalper will get better as he practice more and more and slowly do better as time progresses. I understand that Scalping has gotton harder and harder but i hope that there is a point where it stops getting harder and then with more and more practice and experience the profitability will increase for the ones that stay in the game,
    At least that is what i hope

Only a question.

Not my intention to disagree at all.

#43     Oct 3, 2003
  4. hayman

hayman

I believe scalping has limited upside, as opposed to longer methods of trade, but has much limited downside risk. It is because of this latter item, that I scalp trade. It has gotten increasingly harder to scalp as this year has progressed, but I think it is directly related to decreased volume. My rule is high volume, great scalping territory. Low volume, bad scalping conditions.

#44     Oct 3, 2003
  5. Mecro

Mecro

Yeah I wish it was that easy. It seems to work, until you get that one trade where you easily lose 20-30 cents. So you had like 20 trades of 5 cents average and then you give a whole load back cause of a short squeeze.

Now add commissions into the mix.

#45     Oct 6, 2003
  6. Mecro

Mecro

Of course

The more experience you get, the better you will become.

But how much time do you have? Personally I'm out of time so I'm seriously questioning whether I can last unless the institutional fish makes a comeback very soon.

#46     Oct 6, 2003