Scalping ES - how many ticks?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tenthousandmen, Feb 3, 2012.

How many ticks do you need to break even on a round trip ES trade?

1. < 1 tick

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. 2 ticks

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. 3 ticks

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. 4 ticks

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. > 5 ticks

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. GTS

GTS

No one can be this stupid/obtuse. The guy has got to be trolling.

#51     Feb 9, 2012
  2. I trade with Velocity Futures, and I can tell you that they 100% charge per side. I'm done commenting as you must obviously be trolling now, as their page clearly shows what we have been saying.

#52     Feb 9, 2012
  3. @ this thread....

LOL

#53     Feb 9, 2012
  4. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

hahah, "weaker chicks pile on" and makes you look like a hen pecker".

I nominate this for post of the year, 2012, so far.

EF

#54     Feb 9, 2012
  5. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

To answer the original question.

I am in agreement with some of the others here. Unless you have the tools, time and tech for hammering the DOM all day. Or even the "want", it is a foolish game, just the cost to break even the slippage and randomness will cut you to pieces....Fooled by randomness...hmm good title for a book. :D

I position hold one or two trades max intraday. You got to get a runner or major move intraday.

The way i look at it.

Small gain-commission-slippage=very small gain

Small gain-breakeven trade-commission-slippage=loss

Loss trade+commission+slippage= Medium size loss.

Two loss trades, you need 3 profitable trades to be slightly green.

Small targets just dont add up.

Go for a position hold intraday.

imho

EF

#55     Feb 9, 2012
  6. GTS

GTS

The answer to the original question is one tick.

Anything else is answering a question that wasn't asked.

#56     Feb 9, 2012
  7. thank you for your contribution. It's hard to imagine how much greater the world is because of your existence.

#57     Feb 9, 2012
  8. I already said that. Problem is 1 tick is great if you hit it all the time, but because you don't now you need 2 ticks. 2 ticks is twice as hard to hit as one. So now you need 3. and it just goes on.

They use to have something called daytrading

today it should be more like sitting on your hands trading

there are still times when it's relatively easy to hit one tick, but not all day everyday

#58     Feb 9, 2012
  9. otherwise, if you go over to forex you can play a very dangerous game invented by a guy named Martingale.

You can still trade for the equivalent of one tick, but when you lose instead of now needing two ticks, you are trading twice the size for one tick.

If somehow miracuously you survive that game, I'm sure you will give up the idea of scalping on the retail level, and hopefully will adapt a more conservative time tested approach to trading.

A lot of us got sucked in to ES because that's all we could afford to trade.

forex is the new market for the little guy and it is widely participated in by gamblers from all over the world.

If you got your shit together and can handle margin, you can trade exactly like Warren Buffet with 5k if you want to or you can scalp like crazy.

But either way, you will never be under capitalized which many agree is the number one reason for failure.

#59     Feb 9, 2012
  10. Hey, I'm the OP! :) You guys sure make threads a pleasure to read... very nice...:eek:

#60     Feb 9, 2012