Scalping ES - how many ticks?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tenthousandmen, Feb 3, 2012.

How many ticks do you need to break even on a round trip ES trade?

1. < 1 tick

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. 2 ticks

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. 3 ticks

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. 4 ticks

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. > 5 ticks

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

To answer your questions about scalping...

That's a strategy specific question that only backtesting of a specific trade method will give you clues about what's "reasonable" via your specific method.

Simply, what's reasonable to one trader will not be reasonable to another trader because they are using different scalping trade methods. Yet, if you are using the same scalper trade method as another scalper along with having similar resources & tools...that's when you can compare notes about what's reasonable (seriously).

Also, a lot of traders call themselves scalpers when in fact they didn't even have the proper tools to be scalping. For example, if you're not getting special commission rates to be competitive as a scalper...you're at a great disadvantage and will most likely not last long in the business of scalping the Emini ES or anything else.

P.S. I'm not a scalper but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night. :p

#41     Feb 8, 2012
  2. I don't know why I even care. I wouldn't touch ES with a ten foot pole, especailly for 3 ticks.

But that's what we all use to do. The inefficiencies were much more pronounced, and there was a lot of retail interest in the stock market.

I never did figure out how to do it, I just got lucky.

We had a little chat room, most of the guys traded NQ, I was the only one trading ES, and all we did was scalp for one two or three ticks. Full point and quarter was the get out loss limit.

The best trader used nothing more than a 200 day moving average on QQQ. If it was above he traded from the long side, and if it was below he scalped from the short side.

those were the days my friend

#42     Feb 8, 2012
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Emini ES just doesn't have the volatility it use to have in the old days.

You either had to adapt or switch to something else. Those that refuse to adapt and continue trading it...got burnt. Yet, the Emini ES is the most advertised and most discussed trading instrument to "retail futures traders". Therefore, it will remain popular to trade to most new futures traders.

#43     Feb 8, 2012
  4. I know, but that's the kind of things they told me.

I agree, that's the way I see it.

But some young kid may be seeing something I am too old to notice.

If you keep wearing the same tie everyday, at first you'll be cool, and then you'll be average, then you'll be queer, then you'll be ecentric, then you'll be retro and finally you will be cool again.

only by then they will say, "Your dad is cool."

#44     Feb 8, 2012
  5. hitnrun

hitnrun

let it go some of you guys just don't get it . let's agree to disagree

I Don't pay $ 6.40 for buying & selling 1 es contract on a 5 minute trade

That is exactly what a few of your are saying Right ?

For the final time . I pay the $ 3.20 r/t fee for my trade ( per example )

You Can't just pay the 1.60 when your enter the trade . and the balance when you close the trade. get real

Some of your guys are clueless about simple math

Anyone can explain it how it works then ? show me ?

#45     Feb 8, 2012
  6. no, you let it go. It's one thing to kill your prey, it's another thing to enjoy seeing him twist in the wind. get over it man. No good trader holds grudges. Tomorrow is a new day and a new trade.

#46     Feb 8, 2012
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

The best way to let it go is to stop commenting upon it and make it a mute point via you not responding anymore (seriously).

Nobody, unless I missed the message, has said you would pay TWO roundtrips. In contrast, we have stated you will pay TWO fees (once per side to equal two fees charged)...$1.60 to enter and $1.60 to exit. In addition, we specifically asked you questions that you REFUSE to answer.

1) Does your broker charge you upon trade entry $1.60 or $3.20 ?

2) If you were to exit your position days later...will your broker charge you another fee as in $1.60 ?

3) Who is your broker ?

If the broker charges you per side as in $1.60...you will then have to pay a second time another $1.60 to exit the trade whenever that occurs...you will not pay have to pay that second time until you've exited your trade position Therefore, you have been charged a fee TWICE (once per side). It's as simple as that to contrast you saying you'll pay $3.20 all at once (as in upon entry) even though you may not have exited the position.

I won't expect you to respond to the questions and therefore I will now let it go. Just as importantly, I won't comment upon this topic again after this message post. Seeya and hopefully you're not as stubborn, rude (name calling like some misbehaving kid running around ET) in your trading as you are here at ET.

P.S. I apologize in advance if you're a foreigner and if you don't read English too well. I will now let it go and move on...agree to disagree.

#47     Feb 8, 2012
  8. GTS

GTS

How can you trade futures and not grasp the simple concept that you are charged each time you make a trade and not a "round trip" charge when you open the position.

Have you never had a buy and sell on a different day? Take a look at your trade confirmation, you are being charged $1.76 per trade not $3.52 on the buy and zero on the sell.

The per side charge is listed right on the Velocity site:

www.tradewithvelocity.com/commissions/product-commissions.aspx?productID=46

#48     Feb 8, 2012
  9. hitnrun

hitnrun

how some of you clowns get through the life is amazing

guys keep paper trading & dreaming about making money trading one day

all you posers ever do is bash others on et because your ignorant losers

#49     Feb 9, 2012
  10. It's stunning how you refuse to say: Hey I was wrong, it's true that you are charged per trade, not RT.

One more thing: not every futures trade is a RT. Some do physical delivery or deliver of the underlying. Meaning they only pay 1 side and NEVER a RT because they never offset that trade.

Looking forward how you are going to answer my remark about the physical delivery to me.

#50     Feb 9, 2012