Scalping ES - how many ticks?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tenthousandmen, Feb 3, 2012.

How many ticks do you need to break even on a round trip ES trade?

1. < 1 tick

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. 2 ticks

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. 3 ticks

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. 4 ticks

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. > 5 ticks

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Are you trying to save face or something? What you said makes pretty much no sense. You are charged TWO times, which adds up to a round turn. Stop acting like a round turn is a one time charge. It isn't. In the same post, you say there are two charges but one charge at the same time.

#31     Feb 8, 2012
  2. what the hell is it about saving face you don't understand? what do you want him to do, eat your shit? will that make you happy?

I'm in on this too. I made erroneous statements which can't be substantiated.

If you've ever raised chickens you see how the deal works. Once they pick out a chick who doesn't fit in, all the other weaker chicks pile on.

When it comes to survival of the species I suppose it makes sense.

otherwise, it just makes you look like a hen pecker.

#32     Feb 8, 2012
  3. hitnrun

hitnrun

exchangeb

You can't read & comprehend i see .. you should go back to school

The fact is i agree with that we pay for both sides of the trade which is called the all in r/t commission

I have been saying the same thing from the beginning fyi . I only pay 1 r/t commission period

Read next time before you open your pie hole . go run along dimwit

#33     Feb 8, 2012
  4. Hitrun, if your trading gives you big losses that's because you deserved it. You made a mistake, you are wrong. You are not only charged 1 time RT you are charged 2 times.

There's no need to be so aggressive about it, we all make mistakes. Some stupid newbies (like you who have no freaking clue what they are doing) are making just more mistakes than others.

#34     Feb 8, 2012
  5. That is your earlier post. I think I understand completely what you said. Don't be throwing insults when you are the one who stated it wrong. You don't see me making fun of oldtime, because he admitted he made a mistake. Get over it.

#35     Feb 8, 2012
  6. GTS

GTS

You pay the commission when you make each trade, buy and sell, you do not get charged one time for both trades.

If you go long today and close out the position tomorrow are you saying that you get charged both commissions today and no commissions for tomorrow's trade? I don't think so.

As others have said, just man-up and admit you were wrong as its plainly obvious to anyone reading this thread.

#36     Feb 8, 2012
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

hitnrun,

Amazing how stubborn you are.

You just can't admit that you are charged a fee TWICE. You're charged a fee to enter a trade and then charged the exact same fee to exit the trade. In contrast, you pretend you're only being charged a fee ONCE as a roundtrip upon entry and then there's no fee to exit the position.

In addition, you won't tell us who is your broker for verification along with you posting the below "contradiction" to intentionally be confusing. :p

Once again, which is it...you pay ONCE (the entire roundtrip) upon entry or you pay 1/2 upon entry (one side) and then the other 1/2 upon exit (one side) = charged a fee TWICE. ???

#37     Feb 8, 2012
  8. let it go. getting back to opie's question, what is a reasonable target for an ES scalper?

And more importantly, what is a reasonable loss for an ES scalper?

Scalping is a tough business and I wouldn't want to do it anymore

But many with small accounts think that is the way to start

that's what I thought and that's what I did

not sure if I was starting out again I would take that route

better to leave scalping to the big boys

IMHO a much better route is FX where you can trade your true style regardless of account size

ES use to be for the little guys, all the big money was in the pit and SPY, but not anymore. Every nook and cranny of ES has been exploited and that's a rough way to go for a retail scalper.

#38     Feb 8, 2012
  9. Imo, there is no set optimum target or loss. Trading styles are very personalized, and everyone needs to find their own style. This takes a good amount of screen time to figure out, not to mention you might find out you like other instruments more than ES. As long as you are making money, that is all that matters in your trading, so don't let people try to point you to the holy grail if you are consistent. Also if your commission is more than a tick in any instrument, you need to find a new broker because you are getting ripped off (for day traders).

#39     Feb 8, 2012
  10. no kidding, especially the part about consistency.

as far as commissions go, when they invented globex, many of us remote traders were actually trading cheaper than the floor traders were before us

but everything adjusts

I don't like to discourage anybody from anything because often was heard a discouraging word and you had to wade your way through that bullshit everyday just to get an honest answer to any question

as a matter of fact, now that I hear all the discouraging things I have to say about scalping ES, it is starting to look like a fresh new opportunity for some young kid who doesn't think like us died in the wool oldtimers think

#40     Feb 8, 2012