Scalping e-minis

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Breakout, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Slippage! What Slippage? We aint got no stinkin slippage!

There is no slippage on globex. You can buy the ask or sell the bid whenever you want.

Slippage is when you send an order into a pit. Sort of like sending a virgin into a pit of perverts. They have their way and you get back a slightly used fill.

#51     Sep 1, 2002
  2. At any rate, do the math, 1 pt a day is 1% a day. If 1% a day isn't enough then you should run for office or something.

And I don't care what anybody says, it is HARD to make one pt a day, five points a week, 20 pts a month.

Now, it isn't hard at all to make 6 pts in one day. Or 18 pts one day out of the month. But it's hard to at the end of every month have 20 handles in your pocket (per contract.)

What's harder, 1 trade 5 pt stop 15 pt profit? 3 trades 2 pt stop 5 point profit, for a total of 15.

15 trades for a point each? It just depends on you. You will never make anything if you don't like what you are doing.

#52     Sep 1, 2002
  3. x-or

x-or

I can't tell about Globex. I trade ESTX50 on Eurex. It has very good liquidity as ES/NQ.
    I wouldn't say i've got no slippage but I don't have too much.

The slippage I talked about was due to the time delay "screen-brain-keyboard-internet-exchange" when i used mental stops.
    Let's say I want to get out by selling at the BID when i see it @2560, i could be executed @2559, 2558 or 2557 because I've been too slow to hit the key and the market is going down.

That's why I stick to hard stops until i get more experience.

I agree with your last post. I don't mind how much i made by trade. I just know that if i did my homeworks and listened to the market, i have some good chance to be net positive at the end of day/week/month.

I blew 3 accounts before having a >0 month. I won't say that it is easy.

#53     Sep 1, 2002
  4. exer, Yeah me too. Speaking of hard stops and fast markets, I like fast fills as much as the next guy, but there's nothing worse than entering a hard stop and getting an immediate fill.

#54     Sep 1, 2002
  5. Profitseer,

I think it is already a very good performance, if you can make 20 points net profit per month for years.

But I can't follow your math. 1% of the inital margin would be $35 (0.7 points)and $17.8 (0.35 points) if you take an intraday margin. If you meant based on the total contract value , then 1 point is currently only about 0.1%.

#55     Sep 1, 2002
  6. @sunnyskies,

my method in progress would have generated on friday for the ES on 1min between 15:00 and 16:00...

2 buy-signals on 15:32 (even better on 15:34) and 15:50 and

2 sell-signals, on 15:25 and 15:42

...as i said before, its based on reversals + penetration of bollingerbands with 13,2 (+ volume). you can test it, its no secret.

:) trading

#56     Sep 1, 2002
  7. @sunnyskies,

for the NQ you would have get the following signals:

buy on 15:13, 15:31 and 15:50

sell on 15:00, 15:25 and 15:42

#57     Sep 1, 2002
  8. Capt, I figure 5 grand per contract. $50 bucks a point. That's what I work with.

#58     Sep 1, 2002
  9. Ok. Makes sense to me. With my posting I did not want to suggest that I would recommend trading one ES contract with $3500 or even $1700. Even with $5k per contract I would use very tight stops (1-1.5 points).

#59     Sep 1, 2002
  10. hey hardcash, Are you fading the bands or trading with them? Only reason I ask is because I have only recently started fooling around with channels, and I noticed with bands set at 20/2 and channels at 30, that it just seems to me that the best fades occur when the bands are well within the channels.

But this is all anecdotal, from just casual observation.

I'm trying to hit that move where prices run up and down the bands. So far the only clue I have is that it seems more probable when prices are trading at the edge of the channel.

I like those bands, but I trade them with respect. They are definitely not a place to go looking for low risk trades. But it's a powerful feeling when you're on their side.

#60     Sep 1, 2002