Scalping and longer time frames

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by illiquid, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Do any of you guys successfully scalp a market on a daily basis while also taking positions on the longer term (hourly/daily)? Or do you find staring at the minute details interferes with your longer term judgement (or vice-versa)? Today was the first I spent scalping (EUR) since those level 2 nasdaq days, was very refreshing to have trade durations measured in seconds again after such a long break.

2. I know what I am about to say has nothing what so ever to do with what you just said.

But, I am fighting an inner struggle within myself to hold onto a trade, get out and and then wait for a better set up. But, I always end up taking the next trade without waiting too long.

I also find it that, if I don't take a trade, and wait and wait for the next signal, I am easily distracted and my focus shifts to other things.

For me, I think taking many trades one right after the other keeps me in flow eventhough my swing/position trading can be a bit more profitable if I don't take all the trades.

3. That's exactly along the lines of what I was thinking.

If anything, scalping does keep me focused throughout the day. However, I can easily see occasions where it may be detrimental to the bigger picture. And since the longer term trades are scalable whereas scalping is not, there's always a possibility that it's not worth pursuing even if profitable. Won't know til I try, but a little advance input doesn't hurt.