scalping 4 % daily

Discussion in 'Trading' started by oilfxpro, Nov 12, 2011.

1. #11     Nov 12, 2011
  2. ronblack

ronblack

Only if you can find a counterparty that can lose consistently $2K per day.

Possible... The issue is to find the willing counterparties. Setting up a brokerage essentially achieves this in the form of charging commissions.

#12     Nov 12, 2011
  3. But you really can't open any doors until you're doing 5 percent daily.

#13     Nov 12, 2011
  4. I once read an essay on money management and position-sizing that said almost any return was possible, provided the trader is willing to put up with the resulting volatility of the equity curve. I keep a running tab of what my strategy would generate if I were using Kelly betting sizes. It's way more than 4%/day, but it also would have led to some 90%+ drawdowns from equity peaks. So, if you can obtain the leverage and don't mind the equity curve volatility, any positive expectancy strategy can generate 4% daily returns. Ultimately, you'd run into liquidity issues, of course, because no market, not even the ES, is large enough to keep compounding at that rate for more than a short time, relatively speaking.

#14     Nov 12, 2011
  5. A good trader can make 20+% of each days total points offered by the gyrations.

For example define a gyration in CL by a min of 40 points. Do the math and work . You'll see whats possible. Of course liquidity becomes your problem after you figure out how to trade so the "6 billion by end of year" argument is of course not taking liquidity and psychological stress of sizing up so fast into consideration.

#15     Nov 12, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

#16     Nov 12, 2011
  7. The important I missed out in the first post is the maximum risk per betting sequence is 2% , equivalent to $1,000 and daily income is approximately $2k, so the volatility of the equity curve is relatively smooth.

I will be able to move the markets eventually and clean the little guys.

#17     Nov 12, 2011
  8. After 17,000 posts , do you not think people might have put " no more posting ,had enough".It flipping saturday .unwind!

I tried it before on a live account and I froze and suffered from stress and anxiety.This was mainly due to inexperience and trying to stick to systems.I went on sim for six months to sort out these issues by using a discretionary method , the method puts less stress on me .I have now become numb to losses or profits , am just focussed on perfect execution.

#18     Nov 12, 2011
  9. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Anyone who believes this is the reason why no 4% a day exists because there are only 1,000 billionaires in the country is what you would call a very ill informed and most probable losing trader.

Trading even just $1m is significantly more difficult than trading a few thousand or few hundred thousand. Trading hundreds of millions of dollars is extremely difficult, since the "easy" 4% methods require fast movements that just aren't possible with those amounts of money, even with something as large as the ES.

And believe it or not, 25% a year with 500 million is better than 5000% a year with a half million.

Now go read some good trading books so you can have an unofficial degree in trading for once. :)

#19     Nov 12, 2011
  10. Why would you limit it to an arbitrary number like 2% unless your historical stats had validated such a number? A strategy with an "optimal" bet size of 2% at-risk is basically a break-even strategy over time.

#20     Nov 12, 2011