Scalper 250 to 500 trades per day

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ksonsinc, Jan 25, 2006.

1. definitely the funniest thing ive read all day, scalping is gambling, hahahahahahahahahahaha scalping is probably the safest way possible to play the market.

#81     Jan 30, 2006
  2. Osiris

Osiris

Thanks Mad...i had never heard of rebate trading before. Sounds pretty interesting actually.

I tend to position trade crazy momo type stocks...so i welcome the thought of a decent scalping or other intra-day strategy that i can trade at the same time.

Not sure why some on this board have said that scalping is so risky or that it is somehow second rate to longer term position trading. The funny thing is that even though i am super long term compared to a scalper....most buy/hold investors would consider me a short term guy with average holding times of less than 3months (before the next round of earnings i am usually out).

So for a long term investor type, what i do probably is sucky in their opinion...since i am paying higher commissions and my capital gains don't compound for as long before paying taxes...but it still makes money for me at the end of the year.

I have read about some scalper/intra day traders (Monroe Trout for example) that have had excellent returns and extremely low volatility...in a way the shorter time frame is much less susceptible to systemic market risk. The only thing I have wondered about is the occasional huge outlier MAE where you get stopped out waay past your stop loss on a news gap or some other big event....but those are likely to be extremely rare on an intra-day basis. Plus with most of the stocks that some of the scalper and daytraders seem to follow the liquidity is so huge this is likely even less of a concern.

But maybe it is just my ignorance that i would even much consider that possibility...just coming from position trading and always having overnight holding...i obviously have to worry about gaps against me a lot.....heh...i do get the occasional gap in my favor too though :D

#82     Jan 31, 2006
  3. mjagadish

mjagadish

The trick is always to cut your losses and let your winners run.Sounds simple but you probably have an idea. There is another trick for futures .. there are tools to identify and precisely time entries (but still never forget to cut losers early). Write to me offline if you need more help.

Regards
    Jagadish

<snip>
    Hello scalpers
    I have seen in the thread Trader P/L.
    Some of you guys trade 250 - 350 trades a day
    that,s a lot of trades.
    How do you, keep your profit target $5 $10 $15 $20 $25 a trade,
    and what do you do if you get stuck in a losing trade.
    Do you do hold, or take the losss
    thank you
    For people who do 15 to 500 trade a day
    Only scalpers answer please.

(Edited for clarity by ChaosNSX)
    <snip>

#83     Jan 31, 2006
  4. ftudor

ftudor

I have been interested in trading for years.

I have talked to people who have advised me against this sort of trading, but now I have a little seed money and want to get my feet wet.

But I am cautious. I need to find out about the basics.

I also need to figure out what tools work.

Maybe some of you can show me some good posts on this forum...or recommend what online trading tool is best.

BTW, I am a serious noob so I am still trying to figure out the lingo too. Some of the acronyms you guys use befuddle me :D

Thanks
    Frank

#84     Jan 31, 2006
  5. FGBS

FGBS

For all the anti-scalpers... A lot of the scalpers do actually let some trades run!!! Quite amazing i know. But maybe there are 3 clear winners a day and 5 marginal ones... a good scalper will do those 8 trades and many many more marginal trades constantly going with the eb and flow of the market. But it is all about the type of trading you are after... some people want to spend an hours making a decision and watch it go... others like making split-second decisions repeatedly.

GLUCK to everyone!

FGBS

#85     Jan 31, 2006
  6. mjagadish

mjagadish

Can anyone help me with very precise information on commission, taxes and fees. I am based in india and planning visit the US soon to demonstrate our techniques.
    Basically, I want to know what i am left with if I trade futures.

In India my systems without brokerage and taxes have given positive returns always. But with brokerage and taxes some months are drawdowns.

The figures are something like this : (Indian Rupees)

Nifty Futures - Lot size 100
    Value - around 3000

So lot buy will be 300000 and a sell 300000 so thats 600000

I do something in between scalping and intraday pos trades.
    Say arnd 12 trades based on my systems.
    Profits without brokerage and taxes are now an average 36000 for my students (best 128000) per 10,000,000 ... will this ratio work in the US ? so thats 0.0036 % . Please help me with the numbers.

Thanks
    j

#86     Jan 31, 2006
  7. Well i have to say scalping is fun and need a lot of brain and ideas
    1 big question how do scalper scan the stock
    DO u come in 1 hour before the market open and study the stik you are planning to trade or do you,ll just trade depending on your intutition
    OR do you,ll use software liek trade ideas etc etc - ?

#87     Feb 4, 2006