Scalp Trading Challenge

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Sam Mcgee, Apr 27, 2004.

1. dude, this is killing me! I've tried so many combos suggested on that website. Still no playback! What's going on?!

#21     Apr 29, 2004
  2. For Autotrader Playback:
    1. Open Autotrader
    2. Open Sierrachart
    3. File/Connect, click on down arrow
    4. Select Ensign Playback file
    5. Select ES, NQ or YM files
    6. Click on "select", browser opens for your hard drive, find where you downloaded the Ensign playback files for ES, NQ or YM futures
    7. Click on "start"
    8. Click on down arrow and select either IBM or MSFT, tick data should now start playing on Autotrader.
    9. On Sierrachart, File/open intraday chart, select IBM or MSFT, tick chart should now play back

If you have any problems I'm sure Jerry Sy who made Autotrader will help you. I'm sure if you give him a donation for his hard work he'll appreciate it. I have nothing to do with his company, I just like his program.

#22     Apr 30, 2004
  3. sam,

i must have done those same steps over a HUNDRED times yesterday. still nothing works. nothing gets played back!

do i need to set something? B/c on AT it keeps on saying "Connection closed" right after opening the es,ym,nq files. seems like it can't find a connection??

#23     Apr 30, 2004
  4. Ditch

Ditch

I think this method as it is will do better on the bund, but it's edge will still be marginal. You need to apply filters to improve w/L ratio. Things to look for ie. former day congestion and US-markets movement after close of the bund.

#24     Apr 30, 2004
  5. Hello folks:
    It is 7:55am on the west coast and I am done for the day. I wanted to follow-up on this subject, because if I don't I can see that there are any number of inexperienced people who will try this and get burned. Yes the ideas work, BUT not exactly as expressed. For example, if you look at the first strategy, the 15 minute opening range strategy, and then look at the recent charts, you will see that you got burned if you tried it as written. As recently as yesterday, you would have gotten stopped out for a 1 point loss immediately. Second issue is risk to reward. Scalping for 1 pt and risking 1 pt doesn't work, period. I use a similar method but I risk .75 and I make a minimum of 2 pts. Third, don't try this without having an automated execution of exits. What I mean is use one of the automated execution programs like Ninja, Button, etc. Make sure to use native orders only. Set it up so that your entry is by discretion and then you simply watch the screen while the program takes over. In my opinion this is the only way to go. As a final example, the 3 o'clock jiggle that Mr. Ho talks about has failed the last several days. He indicates that the market tends to reverse around 3pm (New York time) and it is true, EXCEPT that recent developments in the bond market invalidate that move. Check the last 2 days of ES charts. What you will see is a hesitation at 3, then a continuation of the morning's move. This is much more common in my experience. Knowing this I scalped the continuation move down very successfully. Mr. Ho's comments are a reference point and can be used if you trade small and keep losses down to .75 (preferably .5) Losing 1 pt is disaster for your account. Also DO NOT DOUBLE UP WHEN YOU LOSE!!! This is a martingale strategy of betting and it is a proven loser. Go the other way if you can. If you trade multiple contracts, scale back on each loser. I cut position size in half and this forces me to stop trading when I am on a losing streak. Hope this is of help. Steve46

#25     Apr 30, 2004
  6. Thank you Ditch, I have only a few days charts saved so far of the Bund but I can see that quite often it has some nice breakouts of the opening range. I'll let you know if I ever come up with something based on your suggestions.

#26     Apr 30, 2004
  7. I've never seen that message. Make sure you're in simulated mode. As I said, Jerry Sy could probably help you better than I could.

#27     Apr 30, 2004
  8. Ditch

Ditch

You use Ensign, right? Plot a price histogram study and look for days where the VA is about 10 to 15 ticks. The next day the 15 min breakout will be a 80% trade. This kind of congestion doesn't occur to often, about of 3 to 4 times a month.

#28     Apr 30, 2004
  9. Thank you, a person could make a living with 80% 3 to 4 times a month.

I switched to Autotrader now which will play back to Sierracharts. I liked Ensign but it was a little expensive when I'm just playing around part time. Autotrader has an advantage over Ensign in that you can set a bracket trade, trailing stop etc when using the playback. Sierrachart doesn't have as many features as Ensign but enough for what I need.

I don't know if you can save your own tick files for playback for Ensign. I'm starting to save ZN, ZB and GBL tick files for Autotrader. Let me know if you ever have a use for them to test a trading method. I'll send them to you.

#29     Apr 30, 2004
  10. How many ticks do you go for? How many ticks is your stop? Do you use Market profile in all your trades?

#30     May 1, 2004