"Scaling out" is inferior behavior

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Buy1Sell2, Oct 18, 2006.

Do you scale out of positions?

1. I always scale out

113 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. I scale out most of the time

228 vote(s)
    28.5%
  3. Most of the time, I do not scale out

189 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. I never scale out

270 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. Not completely true.

While the short term trader is fiddling around the same instrument back and forth like a mad man, the position trader has 5-10 positions open making much more money with better risk diversification.

"Position traders do it better". Many of my ex-girlfriends would attest to this statement.

:D

#31     Oct 18, 2006
  2. In general I agree that scaling out is sub-optimal. The method taught by Joe Ross of immediately taking a small profit to "cover costs" is a good example of a suboptimal way to trade. That said, I think there are a couple of situations that warrant scaling. One is if yu are trading size and you need to exit when there are buyers. That generally means trying to sell into a run up, not waiting for the high tick. The other is if you are using multiple exit strategies. For example, you may sell one tranche at first resistance, another on a reversal bar and a thrid on a MA cross. Over long periods one method might be superior but over shorter time periods, they may average out to be better than an all or nothing approach.

The real problem with scaling out is that it is the flip side of averaging in or doubling down on losers. Scaling out encourages you to sell winners which is generally not what you want to do. Someone may note that I am on the opposite side here from the doubling down debate, where I suggested that was not always a terrible thing to do. The reason is simple. If you are disciplined, and that can be a big if, you will get out of a doubled dwon loser quickly if it continues to go against you. Your loss is capped even if it is bigger. With winners, it is crucial to ride the big winners as long as possible with as full a load as possible. Scaling out hinders that.

#32     Oct 18, 2006
  3. It was just a counter-example to a rather pompous argument. There are always occasions where one looks like the idiot compared to the other.

And hey, there's nothing out there that says you can't do both.

#33     Oct 18, 2006
  4. Maverick1

Maverick1

B1S2,

If anyone has doubts over whether scaling out should be a part of their plan, then they should not be trading imo. This is because anyone who intimately understands their winning and losing trades will KNOW whether to scale out or not.

For ex, if you've studied your trades and know that a very small % trades will stop you out immediately at a full loss, and further that a large % of your losers/break evens were once in the money by x amount, then you would be a fool not to scale out. This would be the Mark Douglas approach and what he recommends based on his own trading.

Conversely, if a large % of your losers are full loss stop outs, then you would be an idiot to scale out just to make yourself feel better...that would be the fast route to the poor house. This would be the Van Tharp recommendation.

So I disagree with Van Tharp who is anti scaling out as well as with those such as Mark Douglas who only recommend scaling out. Those absolute positions have more to do with a need for dogma in trading than sound logic.

Knowledge is power in trading/life and a lot of our fear comes not knowing. That kind of fear is perfectly rational. If you truly have an edge as well as a method which is consistent enough to study that edge, there will be no more doubts of whether to scale in or scale out. If you are using a nebulous trading idea generating setup, then that's a big problem because you have no basis to study your trades and acquire the knowledge that is necessary to trade confidently.

So in short, 2 things:
    a. Scaling out or not is a decision that should be made based on the intensive study of your trades.

b. If you don't have a consistent way of generating trades, you won't be able to do the above.

There's been a LOT of posts/threads on this on ET, and a good part of what I've said above has been said many times before on this board.

To him who has ears...

#34     Oct 18, 2006
  5. agree.

:)

#35     Oct 18, 2006
  6. <i>This is because anyone who intimately understands their winning and losing trades will KNOW whether to scale out or not.</i>

Very well explained... that is an excellent example of correct personal trade management. Entry, exit and stops are synonymous, and neither more or less important than another.

#36     Oct 18, 2006
  7. Thanks for that.

JJ

#37     Oct 18, 2006

8. anyone who quotes a genius-mind like GWB must know what he is talking about too! :eek:

#38     Oct 18, 2006
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Bottom line-- traders who have been successful scaling out have duped themselves into believing that it helps with their profitability etc. However, they don't realize that the profits would be much more bountiful by letting the full winning position run. It's just common sense.

#40     Oct 18, 2006