Say you are Nassim Taleb and hyperinflation hits

Discussion in 'Economics' started by milktruck, Feb 15, 2010.

1. I have gone through that kind of experience myself, so I do understand... In general, there's such a wide range of outcomes, in terms of how bad things can get, it's very difficult to speculate. Based on my personal experience, property, as well as generic portable physical assets (jewelry, etc) are the SHTF protection. Everything else is likely to be "re-denominated", one way or another.

As to my comment, I apologize that it was somewhat off-topic. There's no need to get persnickety about it, GoC.

#31     Feb 17, 2010
  2. I'm not 100% sure putting your money into other countries currencies is going to help if hyper-inflation happens. I dont think that this collapse is going to be localized. I think its going to be global. The united states has its hand around the balls of the world and is saying "If we go down, you all are comming with us!"

Your safest bet is to buy anything manufactured by God like gold, silver, land,ect.

#32     Feb 17, 2010
  3. yes, but after you have trillions in toilet paper currency from surviving SHTF, what do you do asset wise with it besides buy million dollar goods?

#33     Feb 17, 2010
  4. Silver can become worthless in bad times, don't be fooled. It has collapsed more than once in the past.

Gold, you can buy in multiple ways. Probably better to buy gold in the form of ETFs, gold mining shares through a gold such as BullionVault.com, or you can buy gold directly through things like Canadian/American gold coins (South African version is the Krugerrand).

Gold was one of the very few items that appreciated throughout the Depression.

#34     Feb 17, 2010