Say goodbye to the Euro

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Gcapman, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Huh?

Do I misunderstand you? I thought you were clearly saying that you expect the USD to go UP, not down.

Why then the talk of shorting it?

#31     Feb 27, 2010
  2. clacy

clacy

He's saying if he's wrong, he will reverse his long position to a short stance. He's bullish on the dollar, but would get short again if he's wrong.

#32     Feb 27, 2010
  3. Gcapman

Gcapman

Nice short squeeze in the Euro guaranteed.....

Whether it has any significant staying power to retrace a major portion of it's recent losses will be determined within the next 2-3 weeks......

#33     Feb 27, 2010
  4. Thanks for your explanation.

How does one trade on the dollar/Euro in a regular brokerage (Schwab, for instance) account?

Thank you.

#34     Feb 28, 2010
  5. PipHog

PipHog

#35     Feb 28, 2010
  6. clacy

clacy

You can trade via etf's, assuming you don't want to trade forex or futures........

Bullish on the dollar = UUP

Bearish on the dollar = UDN

There are also etf's for the Euro (just google to find ticker symbols) and I'm sure there are alternatives to UUP/UDN in the dollar as well.

#36     Feb 28, 2010
  7. Gcapman

Gcapman

Major sell-off going into the ECB interest rate decision?

These price levels are screaming pullback..........

#37     Mar 3, 2010
  8. cvds16

cvds16

All my charts from 4H, daily, weekly are screaming up here for euro ...

#38     Mar 4, 2010
  9. Gcapman

Gcapman

LMAO

Get ready for the pain! :cool:

#39     Mar 4, 2010
  10. Government spending above the level needed to create a stable, functioning civilised society is generally going to be value-destroying. If you accept that $1 in the private sector, on average, over the long-run earns a profit in excess of the cost of capital, and a marginal $1 in the government sector doesn't, then 20 years of excessive government spending is going to destroy a heck of a lot of value (at the annual rate of the productivity difference between private & public sector.) This should be especially the case now, as a lot of the stupid destructive excesses of the credit boom are not going to be repeated any time soon.

In other words, spending 100%+ of your GDP on bridges to nowhere, paper-shufflers and pork barrel projects is going to end painfully. Do that for 2 decades and it's a lot of value destruction. Less wealth/capital = lower real prices for assets.

Contrast that to the asset price gains from a private sector that gets liberated from heavy government control e.g. former communist countries going to mixed/capitalist economies, like China and the former Eastern Bloc. Although in the shorter-term some of that can be attributed to credit cycles, the long-run trend is still clearly up, growing by many multiples, and is commensurate with wealth creation in those economies.

#40     Mar 4, 2010