Savings Accounts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by User50000, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Okay, I have no idea where to put this so I am going to start this thread here...

I live in the US and I am trying to open a non-dollar denominated savings account. Basically, I have US dollars in an account and I would like to convert some of those dollars to Yen, Euros, etc and hold the non-US currency in a savings account. I thought it would be a simple process, but apparently I was wrong.

Unfortunately, my bank told me they can't do this for retail customers. I was surprised because this is a gigantic US bank. So, I went to another absolutely huge US bank and they told me that I could open a savings account in another currency, but I would have to (physically) open it from outside of the US. :confused:

Does anyone know of any banks in the US that will allow a customer to open a saving accounts and hold money in a currency other than US dollars (preferably without forcing me to travel outside of the country first)?

Thanks!
    (Moderator, please move this thread to the appropriate forum if this is misplaced).