Saving Metastock Data

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by GCast, Oct 17, 2003.

1. GCast

GCast Guest

Hi, could someone help! I am trying to save my metastock data & its just not working!!

I am using esignal RT trading ES I would like to save the real-time data for historical testing, now I can right click the chart & copy the data to excel or notepad, but what do I do with it then? I have tryed to convert it back to metastock format in the downloader but that comes up with an error! I know theres a way to do this can someone help!

Thanks

2. GCast

GCast Guest

:( anyone!?:)

3. gnome

gnome

If you are using eSignal Data on Demand, I don't know what to tell you.

Presuming you have MetaStock Pro, just begin a "new" file for ES #F, and it will automatically save just like any other MS file. I keep a 1 minute of that and it works just fine.

4. Method #1:
    First open "The Downloader" and make a new file for this data. This should be in a totally different folder than the DataOnDemand Cache folder and not used for realtime updates. Name it anything you want... ES5 2003 for example, same for symbol...you won't be using this file for downloading off esignal.

Next, bring up an esignal chart with the symbol you want to save to the file from the point you left off in the data file.
    Right click on the price data and copy. Go to the Downloader and open the file you created and paste the data into this file.

Now you can open this new file and chart and test from this data.

A real pain! But it will work.

Method #2:

Purchase QCollector for esignal.
    http://www.mechtrading.com/qcollector/esignal/

Define the files for the symbols you wish to collect and it will save the data in individual periodicities unlike MS which saves all realtime data in one minute format. You can use these files for testing, charting etc.

I like this method.

Bob

5. gnome

gnome

In MS Pro, you can build a library of data on symbols you follow. Just make "new" files in some other folder than Data on Demand and you can have any periodicity you want. I've got hourly charts back to '98, and 5 minute charts that I keep trimmed down.

This way, you don't have to use eSignals 1 minute except temporarily while your own period charts are being built.