Save the COT report.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mschey, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

As the fine commodity trader Dan Norcini says:

"I suggest any trader out there who reads those reports and has come to rely on them as much as I do to take a bit of time to visit the web page of the CFTC and urge them to retain the report. Please be polite and do not accuse them of deliberately trying to obfuscate the markets. Express to them how much you appreciate the report’s usefulness and offer a few suggestions for improvements if you feel there is some need. Remember, they are actively seeking public comments so this is the time to make your voice heard."

If you go to this government link it provides all necessary information for submitting comments. Well worth the effort.
    http://www.cftc.gov/foia/fedreg06/foi060621a.htm

#11     Aug 1, 2006

2. I don't know if this helps, but a friend of mine who trades the agricultural futures swears by the COT charts.

http://www.trackntrade.com/cot/index.htm

#12     Aug 3, 2006
  3. I use it and I find it an important part of my trades -I hope they keep publishing it. Good to know where the commercials are .

#13     Aug 5, 2006
  4. JDConner

JDConner

I e-mailed the letter, hope this works.

JDConner

#14     Aug 5, 2006
  5. aca123

aca123

Aok where can i find some more info on pinch/paunch technique?
    tia

#15     Aug 16, 2006
  6. Markets change.

If not let's bring back the Egg Futures.

#16     Aug 16, 2006
  7. ellokn

ellokn

Quick, write a letter to the CFTC to save the COT data re-packaging industry and its vendors.

This reporting and resulting data requirement grew out of the Hunt Bros. silver squeeze. Markets and participant make up have changed big time over the last 20-some years.

The COT data and reporting requirements have outgrown its meaning and usefulness. The CFTC recognizes this. Unless, of course, you are a vendor of these numbers and have a captured market.

Let me see.....I can put up weekly rain fall in Iowa and plot that against the price of corn and sell it. Now THAT might be of more value than now-meaningless COT data.

#17     Aug 16, 2006
  8. I agree. Here's an example of a position in ten year many would take note of.

http://www.softwarenorth.net/cot/current/charts/TY.png

#18     Aug 16, 2006
  9. I just send the letter for helping to save the COT report.

So any news regarding the action of canceling the report?

I hope it will stay!!!!!

#19     Aug 27, 2006
  10. rdamon

rdamon

In all this argument about whether it's useful or not, it really depends in what you're trying to get out of it, and then what you intend to do with it. Without any training or experience, few things are useful. As for the COT, I've been using it for a while by taking the information and separating whether the market is trending or trading (by the players themselves instead of general technical indicators) and then I align my trading system to only take trades in the ditection of the data. This has saved me from a great deal of bad trades, which by default have made me a better trader.

As for who has the COT data, there are several.

GenesisFT
    Shatterfield
    TrackandTrade

And I think OmniTrader and CSI may still have it available.

Finally, I think that the deadline has passed for the CFTC letters and theny may not be accepting anymore (If I remember, August 21st was the deadline).

Anyway, my two cents :)

Roger

#20     Aug 29, 2006