Satellite? Does it work well for trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plumlazy, Jun 30, 2002.

1. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

I think geosynchonous orbit is 26,000 miles. Then let's add a few thousand miles for triangulation and round up to 30,000 miles. They send the data up to the bird and then it's sent down to you. That's 60,000 miles total. Speed of transmission is 186,000 miles/second. So, 1/3 of a second more right there. If it is bounced a few thousand terran miles (lets say LA to NYC, that would translate into about an additional 24,000 miles (((( 2 * PI * (26,000 geosynch orbit +4,000 radius of earth ) )/ (24,000 circumference of earth))*3000 terran miles). So now you have a total of 84,000 miles still at 186,000 miles per second. So now you're up to nearly half a second.

Then add inefficiencies from the vendor and you're pretty much trapped by the laws of physics no matter who your vendor is. You would get a noticable lag even if the vendor was in the office next door to you.

#21     Jul 1, 2002
  2. Bryan Roberts

Bryan Roberts Guest

cash,

well you obviously know you stuff!!!!! my head is still spinning from those numbers. i'll definitely have to trust your expertise!!!

Thanks for the info!

#22     Jul 1, 2002
  3. cashonly

A lot of that is stuff from grade school geometry and earth science and there's no guarantee of it's authenticity, but you get the idea.

Cash

#23     Jul 1, 2002
  4. cashonly

#24     Jul 14, 2002
  5. Hubert

Hubert

too much lag time

#25     Jul 14, 2002
  6. ddefina

ddefina

Can you get wireless? In my area its preferred to DSL and Cable by gamers who want to shave a few milliseconds of latency. Don't know why for sure, but is has less lag they tell me. Unfortunately I can't get it at my house due to a tree in my way down the road.

#26     Jul 14, 2002
  7. I got a client query about using IB's TWS and medium-speed daytrading front-end on a Satellite link.

Having no experience with Sat myself, are there ever issues where TWS simply won't wait long enough for a heartbeat, or whatever, and seizes?

Or does it work reliably, normally, but simply have some latency issues?

Any TWS tuning parameters which are necessary for Sat links at all? Maybe messing with MTU sizes, etc?

Thanks in advance.

FS

#27     Aug 29, 2007
  8. I've been trading with DirecWay (now HughesNet) for years. But I only trade with automated swing systems (IB API - TWS), so latency problems don't bother me. How it would work with higher frequency trading, I don't know.

I can say that it works "most" of the time. Issues with weather, satellites, and terrestrial servers and gateways make it a very poor choice for someone who has ANY other broadband options IMHO.

And the last few weeks my satellite (G16) has been experiencing slowdowns in the afternoon. Some speculate this is because Hughes keeps loading more and more people on the few transponders. Only so many can use them at one time :(

#28     Aug 29, 2007
  9. I beg to differ in opinion: the lag can be as much as 9 - 10 seconds according to my ISP.

However I have a "slow" intraday methodology and have deisgned it so that I can have up to a 4 minute fill period for both entry and exit with no change in results.

When ADSL goes down I dial in, have two backup dial-up ISP's on landline adn two dial-up ISP's on mobile phone: one is slow, the other is high speed (similar to my ADSL speed).

Can trade comfortably with a 33 K modem connection, have tested it with as low as 19K but then start to experience lag at peak times.

Maria

#29     Aug 30, 2007
  10. Check out Verizon Aircard. You can have internet access anywhere your phone gets coverage, and it is very secure. $59 a month.

#30     Sep 8, 2007