Satellite date feed for Global Strategy Trader Platform?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Johnnie T-Bond, Jun 13, 2007.

1. maxpi

maxpi

Wireless DSL is secure and fast, you might see if you have that available. You get it with a little antenna outside and mounted high up, it is always from a line of sight connection. Businesses might be using it more than residences but when I talked to a local provider they were happy to hook me up. I could not get the signal though, I have a small Butte [pile of iron ore basically, real signal killer] between my location and the transmitter.

Internet from cell phone companies is not that bad either. Personally I don't think you need all that much bandwidth to trade one instrument but I don't really know.

If you could use DTN Satellite with your software it would be a good thing I suppose. They don't send every tick though, only when the price changes and that screws up your volume numbers at the end of the day but not by a whole lot, I don't think most traders that look at volume are doing precision measurements.

#11     Jun 13, 2007
  2. Maxpi

I'm thinking I will go with ATT/Cingular and use their wireless PC air card which will give a 300 to 400 kbs connection which is about 6 to 10x my dial up. It connects to my Dell PC and should have enough range to the transmitter.

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

#12     Jun 13, 2007
  3. I had a pair of Comcast construction dept. field reps come out today and re-evaluate my situation after contacting the Comcast CEO's office. The "discovered" a trunk feeder cable right on the edge of my property which they can tap into, for no cost! Persistence pays! Thanks again to all for the helpful suggestions.

#14     Jun 14, 2007