sat internet service

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AAAintheBeltway, Dec 4, 2003.

1. The older DW4000 system uses two modems hooked together and the new DW6000 has only one that does both jobs. They are both or DW6000 hooked to one dish and you can also have DirectTV on the same dish. So one dish can do all satellite internet connections and TV too. We had a small alignment problem after installing a new roof but were able to realign ourselves. There is a diagnostics program that you run to get the best alignment. It takes two people but can be done fairly simply. We have never had a technician since the original install. Occasionally a power outage or lighning storm will put so much static elictricity in the system that you have to shut down and go through a procedure to eliminate that problem. That only happened once though. I have never lived where I could get cable or DSL so I can't compare but next to a rural land line there is absolutely no comparison.

#11     Dec 4, 2003
  2. Which provider are you using, guy??

thx,
    -b

#12     Dec 4, 2003
  3. Sorry, I thought I mentioned I am using Direcway and Direct TV.

#13     Dec 4, 2003
  4. If you're interested there is lots of satellite hardware on ebay under Direcway listings. Lots of the DW 4000 modems and dishes. Even portable satellite internet dishes for motorhomes.
    Also pointing devices etc.

#14     Dec 4, 2003
  5. there's an article about trading with satellites somewhere. The deal is, if you're surfing the web, it's very fast, but you don't know there is a slight delay.

They (the satellite people) say it can take up to 5 seconds to get the data onto the superhighway. So it would seem very fast, but in fact be delayed.

I enter early often, and very rarely enter late (cause I figure I've already missed the move) so for me, 5 seconds delay would probably help.

#15     Dec 4, 2003