SARS stocks

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lojze, Sep 3, 2003.

1. lojze

lojze

Any idea, where can I find such a list?

Lojze

2. Are we to assume that you are looking for concept stocks on the theme of finding a cure or diagnostic tool for SARS??

Or are you looking for stocks to short on the first sign of a SARS resurgence this year?? After all, without a resurgence there won't be much play in the former.

My rough game plan for shorting on the first signs of a real comeback of SARS:

HangSeng
    Taiwan
    All PRC and Asian Airlines
    MOT
    EK

later possibly -

Japan
    Singapore

and perhaps still later -

US

As refresher, here is excerpt from a 5/24/03 AWSJ article:

"I am convinced that with the advent of early winter in the Northern Hemisphere in just six short months, we will see a resurgence of SARS that could far exceed our experience to date. If this projection is correct, we have every reason to believe that this disease may show up in multiple US cities as [Americans] continue to travel around the world in unprecendented numbers and speed." Dr. Michael Osterholm, Chairman of the Center for Infectious Disease and Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

"I hope he's wrong, but I fear that he's correct."
    Dr. Gerberding, Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"It would be distinctly unusual for a respiratory disease that is spread this was to all of a sudden disappear." Dr. Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health.

3. lojze

lojze

This is, what I am looking for.

Lojze

4. Well, wouldn't an obvious place to look be companies that manufacture drugs and diagnostic equipment? I mean, it's as though as there are companies out there that deal solely with SARS, as in a SARS-R-US.

ps - Sorry I, can't help, you lojze. But I, am, intrigued by the, logic, of your comma, placements.

5. lojze

lojze

Don't be upset with commas...

Still, be prepared for SARS related stocks ....

Lojze

6. Oki

Oki

hi!

there's vra, around 27cents

:)

7. Oki

Oki

here's the link I was looking for:
    http://www.viragen.com/pressreleases/2003/virpr05202003.htm

PLANTATION, FLORIDA – May 20, 2003 – Viragen, Inc. (AMEX: “VRA”) today announced that it has filed a patent application covering the use of natural human leukocyte-derived alpha interferon for the treatment and prevention of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

:)

8. Oki

Oki

Here's another news from VRA related to SARS

Viragen Drug Proves Effective Against SARS In Research Study
    Thursday September 4, 8:59 am ET
    Data From Study Strengthens Patent Application

PLANTATION, Fla., Sept. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Viragen, Inc. (Amex: VRA - News) and Viragen International, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: VGNI - News) today reported positive results from in vitro studies that evaluated the use of Multiferon(TM) for the treatment of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). These preliminary studies, conducted by researchers at the Genome Institute of Singapore (GIS), appear to confirm that the natural, human leukocyte-derived alpha interferon is a prime candidate for the treatment of SARS. ....

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030904/flth008_1.html

9. Repost from another thread:

Huge divergence of Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong markets today! All down following huge up move in the US. We know Singapore is down on a SARS scare but Taiwan? Hong Kong? How else can Taiwan (electronics manufacturers) be down after strong Nasdaq performance yesterday?? SARS concerns are already weighing on Asian markets looks like ... and flu season doesn't peak until February.

I suspect a SARS resurgence is the only negative catalyst strong enough to derail the current bull run before the end of the year.

My first short is Hong Kong ... hmmm.

#10     Sep 9, 2003