Sarah Palin on BP Oil Spill: 'We Need to Keep Drilling'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by shortie, May 14, 2010.

1. wave

wave

dumb mother,

I reckon you take your government subsidies as well and feel entitled to them. If so, be a smart mother and do without them.

#31     May 14, 2010
  2. wave

wave

You want to see riots in the streets akin to Greece? Take "government subsidies" away that are consumed by wannabe Republicans.

#32     May 14, 2010
  3. wave

wave

Night, gotta go read me books.

#33     May 14, 2010
  4. i have not read much about the recent oil spill. i base my opinion on headlines and my common sense.

i am not an expert on deep-water drilling so i am just surprised that they can even drill at 1 mile depth. next question on my mind is how it is even possible to contain the spill that goes right into the ocean from such depth. they tell me "we have the technology to both drill and contain". so, not being an expert, i trust them.

now they f*k up and it is obvious that they are not able to contain the spill. the greedy drillers can drill but can't contain.

to the oil folks i say: screw you! stop polluting the ocean while trying to get rich!

#34     May 14, 2010
  5. Catoosa

Catoosa

I spent 1967 through 1984 designing and doing the stress analysis of nuclear reactor vessels, pressurizers and the connecting piping of the primary systems for nuclear power plants. The designs for the pressurized water nuclear power plants used in the USA are safe. I live three miles down wind of a nuclear power plant. The Chernobyl plant was not designed with safety in mind and could not have been built in a non communist country. Wind a solar can not provide power at all times we may require it and can not exist on a large scale without government subsidies. Nuclear and fossil supplemented with hydro is the most economical. Nuclear has the least negative impact when compared to fossil, hydro, wind, and solar.

#35     May 14, 2010
  6. Yeah, nuclear power is the most green power source. Ironic, since the Greens have been against it since day 1.

#36     May 14, 2010
  7. Catoosa

Catoosa

There has not been a new license issued for a commercial nuclear power plant in the USA since 1975. This is because of the efforts of an anti-nuke group at the time called the "Interveneors". The construction of nuke plants for the Navy were unaffected.

#37     May 15, 2010
  8. MGB

MGB

Oil is lighter than water. It rises to the top. When oil is on top, you can skim it off. The hard part is dealing with the weather, waves, etc.

#38     May 15, 2010
  9. MGB

MGB

I would eliminate all government handouts, including social security, medicare, medicaid, unemployment insurance, etc.

If you want a handout, you should get it from the State, not from the Federal Government.

#39     May 15, 2010
  10. Yes, but imagine the consequences of a similarly lax regulatory environment, and the private sector's willingness (penchant) for cutting corners and taking "calculated" risks of the order of BP. Then there is the small matter of growing nuclear waste, which has been known to be buried in rusty barrels...

I don't know anything about nuclear energy other than that it holds promise in the correct regulaltory environment. However, the characteristic ability of humans to fuck things up with a gung ho approach frightens me when it comes to matters nuclear. Imagine an environmental event analogous to the CDS debacle in the financial markets.

Nuclear energy is the ultimate leveraged bet not to be taken lightly. Unfortunately, "conservatives" generally scoff at regulation as a matter of principle. However, if things go awry, the "invisible hand," to which the conservatives so lovingly refer, will give us all the finger.

#40     May 15, 2010