Sarah Palin 'furious' at Bristol's new boyfriend

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, May 25, 2011.

1. 1.You would give your daughter "negative shit" if she wanted to date or marry outside her race

2.It is natural to want to date within your racial group,but it is also natural to want to date outside your race

3.The overwhelming majority of people do date thier own race,but interracial dating and marriage is in a clear up trend

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...rriage-more-than-double-the-rate-in-the-1980s

Interracial marriage: more than double the rate in the 1980s

As America becomes more diverse, interethnic and interracial marriage has become much more common

posted June 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm EDT

Americans are more likely than ever before to marry outside their race or ethnicity.

Nearly 1 in 7 marriages in 2008 was interracial or interethnic, according to a report released by the Pew Research Center Friday. That’s more than double the intermarriage rate of the 1980s and six times the intermarriage rate of the 1960s.

Also, most Americans say they approve of interracial marriage, with more than 6 in 10 saying they’re OK if a family member marries outside his or her group. Thirty-five percent say they already have a family member who is married to someone of a different race or ethnicity.

“Race relations have certainly changed in a positive way,” says Daniel Lichter, a professor of sociology at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. “This indicates greater racial tolerance, a blurring of the racial divides in the US. In general, it’s an optimistic report.”

Still, he cautions against notions that the United States is entering a postracial era.

“I don’t think these racial boundaries are going to go away anytime soon, despite these patterns we’re seeing over past 20 years,” Dr. Lichter says. “It’s hard to imagine the black-white divide in particular is going to go away anytime soon.”
    Immigration, changing attitudes drive trend

Waves of immigrants from Latin America and Asia are driving the intermarriage trend by enlarging the pool of potential marriage partners, says Jeffrey Passel, a lead researcher and author of Pew’s report.

“American society is becoming more diverse, and workplaces, schools, and other arenas are fairly open so people can meet others of different races on one-to-one levels,” Mr. Passel says. “Underneath that, there’s a broad acceptance of interracial marriages that 40 or 50 years ago just didn’t exist.”

But, he adds, “It’s very much a generational phenomenon.” While 80 to 90 percent of people under age 30 say they find interracial marriages acceptable, that number falls to about 30 percent for those over 65, he says. “People 65 and over grew up in the ’30, ’40s, and ’50s when such things weren’t acceptable or were illegal. That’s an indicator of how things have changed.”
    Whites', blacks' rate of intermarriage rising; Hispanics, Asians steady

Approximately 280,000 of the roughly 2 million marriages in 2008 were between spouses of different races or ethnicities, according to the Pew report. White-Hispanic couplings accounted for the greatest proportion of those intermarriages, at 41 percent. White-Asian couples made up 15 percent, and white-black couples 11 percent.

The report found vastly different rates of intermarriage for each of the groups studied. Among all newlyweds in 2008, 9 percent of whites, 16 percent of blacks, 26 percent of Hispanics, and 31 percent of Asians married someone whose race or ethnicity was different from their own.

But while blacks nearly tripled their intermarriage rates from 1980, and whites more than doubled theirs, the rates have hardly changed for Hispanics and Asians over the past 30 years.

“For whites and blacks, new [Asian and Hispanic] immigrants and their now grown US-born children have enlarged the pool of potential partners for marrying outside one’s own racial or ethnic group,” Passel writes in the Pew report. “But for Hispanics and Asians, the ongoing immigration wave has greatly enlarged the pool of potential partners for in-group marrying.”

Lichter of Cornell has documented this trend in his own research. In some cases, he says, immigration is reinforcing cultural and ancestral identities.

“Native-born populations are returning to their national-origin group, in part through marriage,” he says. “An increasing share of second-generation Hispanics are marrying first-generation immigrants. If marriage is one factor of assimilation, this represents a slowdown in assimilation among Asians and Hispanics.”
    Black men and Asian women have highest rates of intermarriage

The report also tracks stark differences in intermarriage by gender.

Some 22 percent of black male newlyweds in 2008 married outside their race, compared with just 9 percent of black female newlyweds.

Among Asians, it's an opposite pattern. Some 40 percent of Asian female newlyweds in 2008 married outside their race, compared with just 20 percent of Asian male newlyweds.

“A lot of this has to do with cultural definitions of beauty and stereotypes of gender roles ... the exotic Asian woman and the patriarchal man,” Lichter says.

This can also create tension within racial and ethnic communities.

“The opportunities to marry for African-American women are exacerbated by high shares of black men marrying out, combined with extraordinarily high rates of incarceration among black men and higher rates of mortality," says Lichter. "That leads to a shortage of men to marry in the black community.”

#51     May 26, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

You're a race obsessed weenie.

My daughter is 24 and moved out of the house years ago. I don't tell her who to date or marry.

#52     May 26, 2011
  3. Of course interracial relationships are more common now than ever before. They are flooding the nation with non white 3rd worlders, then spamming media with endorsements of interracial relationships and promoting them as "cool" and "progressive". Yet, despite all this effort the vast, overwhelming majority of people STILL prefer their own race, demonstrating that it's quite a natural tendency. Yet you, being the bigot that you are, slander people as "racist" who are exclusively interested in members of their own racial group, which makes YOU the bigot.

I never said I'd give my daughter "negative shit" for dating interracially, you just made that up too. In fact, I'd give her "positive shit" by using it as an opportunity to explain why I value our ethnic identity, why I'm proud of it, and why it's important. Then again, my kids wont be brainwashed by the white guilt industry, so they likely wont make the unnatural choice to take a spouse of a different race. Just because you love your own people, doesn't mean you hate other people. Many bigoted commentators seem unwilling to grasp this point.

#53     May 26, 2011
  4. AK's bigotry here is astounding- trying to tell ME what values MY children should have instilled in them. This is a perfect example of left wing fascism, trying to determine which values are "acceptable" for people to teach their children. Can anyone say this is what America is really supposed to be about?

#54     May 26, 2011
  5. No, he's only pointing to your own obvious bigotry. He's not telling you what to do. He's telling you who and what you are. And he has your own posts to prove it.

#55     May 26, 2011
  6. I have have said nothing bigoted. He had to go so far as to make up fictional statements which I'd never made to try to make a point. I have made no bigoted notion at all. The only bigoted notion has been made by AK. Please show me one bigoted statement I have made. Oh, and just because you obviously don't know, here's the definition of bigotry:

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

#56     May 26, 2011
  7. My position is any 2 people who like or love each other should be able to date or marry regardless of race or gender

Your position is that 2 different races shouldn't date or marry

Who's the real bigot here :confused:

#57     May 26, 2011
  8. For your own sake, I hope you're wearing your asbestos trousers.

#58     May 26, 2011
  9. You left this part out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

The predominant usage in modern English refers to persons hostile to those of differing race, ethnicity, nationality, inter-regional prejudice, gender and sexual orientation, homelessness, various medical disorders particularly behavioral disorders and addictive disorders and religion or spirituality.

#59     May 26, 2011
  10. Bullshit. I never said that anyone should be forced to do anything. What I said was that I'd encourage my daughter to date white guys, and that my ethnic, cultural, and racial heritage is important to me. Also that there's nothing "racist" or "hateful" about being disinterested in dating people of other racial groups.

You are the one calling me names, and making false statements about what I have said. Who's the "intolerant" one here? To answer your question- YOU are the real bigot here.

#60     May 26, 2011