Sao Paulo - Brazil - illegal drug dealers gangs and chaos

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SouthAmerica, May 16, 2006.

1. .

Sam123: We Americans have plenty of free speech. For example, many Americans talk about how their own journalists are out of touch and stupid.

May 21, 2006

SouthAmerica: I understand what you are talking about. But I am lucky I can read other foreign languages and I can read what the journalists are saying on their newspapers on other countries. That is why I know that the American mainstream media is missing in action on many issues and Americans don’t have a clue about what is happening on other countries including the countries on their own backyard. It is Pathetic.

I don’t understand how most educated Americans can speak only one language – in other parts of the world people can speak multiple languages and it becomes even more important on a global economy.

#21     May 21, 2006
  2. jem

jem

It is simple, every educated person who comes here speaks English so we do not get to practice.

At one point I could converse in Spanish and get compliments from Spaniardsl, travel and make friends in French (with an accent) and get around in portugal and even a little in Italy.

Now I can only read the sports pages in Spanish. It is not that I was not educated in two foreign languages it is I do not get to use them.

#22     May 21, 2006
  3. .

May 25, 2006

SouthAmerica: An article published in the last issue of the magazine “The Economist” said that among other reasons behind the chaos caused by the gangs in Sao Paulo:: “an earlier demand was for 60 television sets to watch next month’s soccer world cup.

The government was able to calm things down when they gave in into the requests for extra television privileges.”

More than 150 people died during the current crisis in Brazil because the convicts want to watch the world cup from inside the prison walls.

#23     May 25, 2006