Santa Claus trading rally in Dec 2008?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by B. Rowshan, Dec 8, 2008.

Is a Santa Claus rally coming in Dec 2008?

1. Yes, onward and upward to maybe S&P 1000

35 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. No, not this year

31 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. hey rowshan--go lie out in the snow and get trampled by santa's sled

28 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. Morph_an

Morph_an

I think the markets oversold and therefore a trend higher is always a possibility. The strength of today's move up is also encouraging for those waiting for a recovery however it may be a move lower tomorrow at some point as the market retraces before making another push up.

#11     Dec 8, 2008
  2. I heard this over and over again in early 2008. Look where we are now with all this money on the sidelines.

#12     Dec 8, 2008
  3. richrf

richrf

You got to know when to hold them .. and know when to go all in. A game of poker.

#13     Dec 8, 2008
  4. I heard that same b.s. every month from mid 2000 to mid 2003.

Three years of "money on the sidelines", and this situation is much worse than that one.

Money will pounce on a rally and then unload furiously at the first sign of weakness (just take a look at the pre-Thanksgiving rally followed by last monday's destruction).

#14     Dec 8, 2008
  5. richrf

richrf

Definite signs of accumulation. It is either equities or 2% Treasuries. 2% just will not do it for most institutions. Slowly but surely, the elephants are thumping in. I'm riding the leading Bull of the herd.

#15     Dec 8, 2008
  6. S+P 1000 is certainly a possibility. It's not like we're hundreds of points out.

But I voted option 3, as it's more desirable.

#16     Dec 8, 2008
  7. noddyboy

noddyboy

From the polls, the bears win again. The market only disappoints any bull for 2008...

#17     Dec 8, 2008
  8. noddyboy

noddyboy

Futures already predicting 1% gap down at the open. No one wants to hold overnight.

#18     Dec 8, 2008
  9. richrf

richrf

Expected with weak volume. The elephants are coming in at a lower point. I am waiting and then will ride with the Bull herd. Higher lows and higher highs. It is the nature of a Bull auction. But the trajectory will continue until the Obama rollout is complete sometime next year.

#19     Dec 9, 2008
  10. noddyboy

noddyboy

What elephants? No fund has any money to invest at this point.

#20     Dec 9, 2008