Sanity check on sharpe ratio calculation please

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by nooby_mcnoob, Nov 15, 2018.

1. I'm working on adding 2x the average spread as a cost along with the commission.would that cover this?

#41     Nov 17, 2018
  2. tradrjoe

tradrjoe

That's a good start unless you think the times you would want to enter a trade would be exactly the times when the spread would be more than average (e.g. times of higher volatility). Better to just use actual bid/ask prices if you have it.

#42     Nov 17, 2018
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  3. sle

sle

It's pretty much impossible to get a perfect backtest so there is really no good reason to make it more complicated. That's especially true given the product (FX is pretty friendly to test trading) and his desired Sharpe (I'd say anything over 4 should be tested live pretty quick).

@nooby_mcnoob - what pnl/tradevalue are you getting and how does that compare to your execution costs?

#43     Nov 18, 2018
  4. Something like .02% per trade whereas execution costs are .002%. Right now though I'm working on trying to figure out what I did wrong because I've been down this road before.

#44     Nov 18, 2018
  5. Found it. Fuck me in the ass.

#45     Nov 18, 2018
  6. sle

sle

Some sort of lookahead bias?

#46     Nov 18, 2018
  7. Not exactly. Code I thought was getting compiled was not getting compiled and some mixed code was running.

#47     Nov 18, 2018
  8. (Using a new tool to do research, so still getting used to it)

#48     Nov 18, 2018
  9. Btw, there is no possibility for lookahead bias because I literally don't use any data beyond the current tick. So it may still work, but the latest charts were incorrect because of this. The original is still correct afaict.

#49     Nov 18, 2018
  10. sle

sle

Not for nothing, but I don't think the first charts look like SR 4. Something is not right.

#50     Nov 18, 2018