SAN FRANCISCO / Bay Area Traders!?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by sunnyskies, Jun 4, 2002.

1. graeco

graeco Guest

A bay view in Richmond?You must be in Point Richmond.I am nearby.I have been trading a couple of years using the gut method.I dont have any fancy trading programs as I find they wont run on my 56k dialup.I have never traded the qqq.I have been shorting for ages.Everytime I try to go long I lose.

#21     Aug 21, 2002
  2. Broadband Internet service is widely available, even in Richmond. I would be a very unhappy trader without it. Nevertheless, if you're wedded to your 56K modem for some reason I can assure you that a good charting service is still usable. On the other hand, if your gut is working for you ...

#22     Aug 21, 2002
  3. I really don't use DSL either. I live in the city (although I'm moving north next month), and while I do have DSL it always seems to be down; however, my dialup connection seems plenty fast enough and extremely reliable. Of course I'm more of a swing trader so speed is not that important.

#23     Aug 21, 2002
  4. The summer of 2001 was miserable for both cable modem service and QCharts. The reliability of both have significantly improved (although I have since moved to eSignal). I had the choice of either cable or DSL at my current location and I opted for cable despite the theoretical benefits of DSL due to the terrible reputation of PacBell DSL. If you are a real scalper and you measure things in milliseconds then a dial-up is a problem but otherwise trading using a 56K is feasible.

#24     Aug 21, 2002
  5. The San Francisco Money Show is scheduled for this weekend (http://www.moneyshow.com/sanfranciscomoneyshow/attendee/index.shtml). I doubt that you'll learn anything there but it's free and I'm a sucker for free highlighters and water bottles. Besides, it's at the Marriott so you could also pop into the SFMOMA, do some shopping, or catch a flick at the Metreon. I'm planning on checking out the presentation by Bierovic (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...9948603/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-4753358-6708064) on Saturday at 5:25 and maybe other stuff around that time frame.

#25     Aug 21, 2002
  6. graeco

graeco Guest

Yes I have heard pacbell DSL isnt worth the bother.Earthlink tell me they cant do DSL for my number.There is no cable on my street.With the dialup I find if I have a really active stock on level 2 then one side freezes and if the stock goes crazy then both sides freeze.Sometimes just getting email will cause a warning about data backup.
    I should probably move.I will one day.

#26     Aug 21, 2002
  7. Hey Graeco,

I don't know what you're paying or how much you like your current area, but my girlfriend and I just found a great place in the North Bay for $1K a month. It seems like rents up there are really going through the floor.

I suggest anyone that likes Marin or Sonoma Counties and doesn't have to commute look into the housing situation up there (provided you're a renter).

#27     Aug 21, 2002

8. Yup, it seems Bierovic might be the only one worth checking out there. The rest of the stuff is targeted toward the investor (bag-n-holder) crowd.

#28     Aug 21, 2002
  9. oh, some of these guys have worthwhile things to say. if you're not familiar with options there are some good introductory talks and if you're interested in generating some investment ideas then some of the newsletter people (like mccamant) might be worth checking out. personally, i'm going for the free pens. : )

in any event, bierovic (who has an article on triangles in the latest active trader magazine) might be interesting and if any local traders want to meet, after his talk might be a good time.

#29     Aug 21, 2002
  10. how was the money show, underdog?

#30     Aug 27, 2002