San Diego cash strapped...sell their police horses at auction

Discussion in 'Economics' started by WallStWhizKid, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Cash-strapped San Diego set to sell police horses and tack
    January 30, 2010 | 8:12 am

The police horses that have patrolled San Diego's Balboa Park are being sold at an online auction.

The Police Department has ended its horse unit, which was organized in 1983, as a money-saving measure. The officers have been transferred to other duties, and their mounts and the tack are being sold.

The auction is set for Feb. 1 through Feb 10 on the website Publicsurplus.com.

The horses -- Wam, Trigger, Major, Junior, Bret, Bandit and Austin -- have long been public favorites, but the city is cash-strapped.

No riding or handling is allowed, but potential bidders can see the horses Feb. 4, 9 a.m. to noon, at the police stables. Check the website.

A third of the city's police dogs are also being laid off.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...diego-set-to-sell-police-horses-and-tack.html

2. The patrol has been disbanded to save $243,000 and help close a $179 million budget gap.

Hmnnn let me check my math, I owe $1,790 dollars, I'll tell you what, I'll give up a candy bar today which costs me 2 bucks to help close the budget gap.

San Diego city employees earning at least $100,000 are the fastest-growing income group on the payroll, according to an analysis by The San Diego Union-Tribune.

About 13 percent of city employees exceeded the six-figure mark in pay last year, when salary, overtime and add-on pay for reasons such as bilingual skills were included. That's up from 4 percent in 2003, and 7 percent since Mayor Jerry Sanders was elected in 2005.

Ya thunk they could drop an employee or two.

3. This is part of the problem...where on earth are you and the city of san diego shopping that you pay 2 dollars for a candy bar. They are only 99cents where i live.

You embezzled that extra dollar didnt you, you crook! :D

4. mikasa

mikasa

:D :D

that's exactly how it works, from Iraq to Haiti

5. BSAM

BSAM

The real problem is the illiterate American voters who keep putting these thugs in office. These "leaders"/ thugs are just doing what they do---raping the public treasuries.

6. You forgot to mention the biggest municipality culprit of ALL . . .

PENSIONS!!!

Up here in the Bay Area, we have 432 retired county employees making OVER $100,000 per year, with complete medical and dental plans for their entire families. And I'm not talking about one of the "richer" Marin or Santa Clara counties here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

In fact, we have a local fire district captain that is making $265,000 per year, retired.

7. Interesting factoid.

19,437,000 or over 14% of our 137 Million tax payers work for the Government earning an average wage of $51407.

In 2008 when unemployment was < 5%, 6,700,000 or over 2% of the adult population in the US were in Jail or on probation.

Estimating 40 Million unemployed, 6 Million jailed or on probation and 24 Million on government payroll and in military service.

This is over 50% of our tax payers... Leaving one hell of a load for the remaining tax payers to cover. Add in caring costs for our elders (Social Security and Medicare etc.)

Immigrating to Haiti and starting over from scratch is an easier task.

8. Banjo

Banjo

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president." ~ Walter Williams ; Black American Writer

9. No pueden porque sus empleados pueden hablar espanol y pueden conocer nuestros costumbres. Vamos a reclamar todo Aztlan para La Raza. Especialmente con frijoles y frijoleros!

10. kxvid

kxvid

I think voters are more than willing to vote for true reformers. The real lacking isn't voter intelligence, but true reformers running for office. Too many candidates are career politicians, power seekers, constitution ignorant, etc. The system is set up so that even if all the candidates suck, one of them is going to get the job.

#10     Jan 30, 2010