Samsung 7 slate :The best win tablet ever for trading ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peternam, Oct 29, 2011.

1. To be honest , no, I am a pimp and would like to trade while fu.... euh working...

#11     Nov 2, 2011

2. A link to those upcoming babies ?

#12     Nov 2, 2011
  3. Nothing out of the box - they showed some at Microsoft's Build conference behind glass.

it basically runs down to this:

* NOW tablets are not tablet tech - they are tech used for tablets.
    * Next year Windows 8 Comes, wit a focus on tablets. Plus the first chips designed for tablets. The result will be a leap like 16 to 32 bit - not "better" but "blowing the current generation out".

Target is a Tablet that looks great (thus the high resolution displays - Apple starts that with the Ipad 3 next year), have power (Windows 8) AND need to run 10 hours usage on a battery (commercial / office use).

I look for a tablet, too, but right now I wont waste my money. I expect the first next generation tablets to appear next year, february.

There is a RUMOUR - totally unsolicted from the same person that said first that Microsoft would "donate" a tablet to every attendand of build conference (which they did) that next year MS may decide to SELL the Windows 8 beta....

... no upgrade rights (but a coupon for a cheaper upgrade to release....

...Starting Feburary....

...for about 250 to 300 USD....

...PREINSTALLED on a next generation tablet ;)

That would be below the tablet sales price alone ;)

This matches the timeframe where the first next gen tablets are scheduled - NVidia plays strong there.

Their main chipis the 4+1 core.

Google "Nvidia" and "Kal El" ;)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386037,00.asp#fbid=RVC7neKHTLr

and for the diplays....

http://news.cnet.com/samsung-shows-crisp-high-res-tablet-display/8301-17938_105-20062679-1.html

I need a tablet for windows 8 these days (doing osftqware for a living - showing off new tech is part of my image with customers) but I wont touch current tech panels with a 20 feet pole. Not with this stuff coming in 4-6 months. Not a Core 5 like the slate ;)

#13     Nov 2, 2011
  4. dc101

dc101

Thanks NetTecture - I was just eyeing Acer Iconia W500 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SBI2PW), but now I'll wait. W500 is great, great price too, but 800px width in portrait was just too narrow for most of the web sites and pdf reading.

Potential "problem" with those new high resolution displays is that they go to the other extreme in portrait mode: from 768px or 800px to 1600px which is way too much for a 10 inch tablet displays. Hopefully, they'll settle on 1024px or 1152px (ideal imho) in portrait.

P.S. AMD's APU may be the next great thing for tablets.

#14     Nov 2, 2011
  5. You want a minimum 1366x768 resolution (note that 1366) because this is the minimum WIndows 8 requires for full usage of Aero ;) Buýing anything below at this point in time is not wise.

#15     Nov 2, 2011
  6. Target is a Tablet that looks great...

You have a link to that tablet ?

#16     Nov 3, 2011
  7. maxpi

maxpi

That's pretty interesting, it's a tablet, it's a netbook too... core i5 and win7 and 7 hours battery time... things are getting interesting..

I don't own a tablet. I do have an Android phone. The surfing features of Android have become far more important to me than the phone calling capabiltiy. I was already shopping for a small tablet. I'll make calls via Google voice. Incoming calls fall in the "urgent and not important" classification and most should go to voicemail anyhow, and small tablets fit in my pocket [until I sit down]...

You could trade with that thing whether it was docked or not probably.. Maybe some vendor will optimize their screen trading software so we can trade from a chart with gestures.. pit traders traded with gestures for decades!!

#17     Nov 3, 2011

8. Do you the trading abilities of an Android Phone ?

#18     Nov 4, 2011
  9. maxpi

maxpi

At 4.3" diagonal, the screen is just too small for about anything really...

#19     Nov 4, 2011