Same old game, over and over

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Many months ago I read an article by a guy proposing a rewrite of the constitution. Normally I wouldn't have ventured past the title of such a piece.
    Maybe I'm getting more open minded with age, maybe I was bored, but I did read the article. As something of a constitutionalist myself I have to admit he brought up and made some interesting points. Namely points regarding the potential obsolescence due to time language and technology as well as the "new normal".

As I recall during comments about the 2nd amendment he stated flat out he doesn't think we need excessive regulatory gun control simply because it does not work. This was an indication to me he's a thinking man and not just another rabid leftist drone.

Couple of the issues with starting over. Who is going to write it, congress? No thanks. Unlike the framers these guys today are neither patriots or statesmen. Not to mention they're notorious for ignoring said document and indulging themselves endlessly with taxpayer funded amenities. Talk about the fox guarding the chicken coop.

Lets say there is a rewrite. What chance is there it would be ratified? In my estimation this country is at least as divided right now as it was in 1860. We have a dysfunctional senate that can't even pass an annual budget. And the list goes on...

#11     Sep 30, 2013
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Oh, it will be re-written someday... By some communist son of a bitch.:( :mad: :mad: :mad:

#12     Sep 30, 2013
  3. piezoe

piezoe

Lucrum, you make good points and ask all the right questions. Though we may be sorely in need of a modern constitution we are not going to get it, not without a revolution. What we'll get instead is the best interpretation of our old Constitution that money can buy.

This is a top notch debate at Brown re Heller v. D.C. and the second amendment. Two sharp as tacks lawyers. I think you will like this.
    http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Po.../the_right_to_bear_arms_dc_v_heller_revisited

To refresh your memory, Heller v. D,C, had to do with the right to carry a gun in violation of the D.C. weapons ban, but metamorphosed into much more. This was the case where Scalia took the second amendment apart at the comma. Trashed the first part of the sentence, and kept the part after the comma. It has had, and will have, a major impact.

#13     Oct 1, 2013
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

#14     Oct 1, 2013
  5. You're not supposed to remember that. Prior to this congress everyone got along just fine is what the radical left would have us believe. There was never any debate. Congress was always in agreement about everything. Now they just hate Obama cause he's black. Everyone is a racist and repubilcans pulling the same stunts as democrats have in the past is due to racism, nothing else. The left will tell us that the right just isn't ready for a black president. I would say we're just not ready for a man to be crowned King.

#15     Oct 2, 2013
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I honestly don't give a damn who does and who does not ignore the constitution when it does not suit them. I consider all who do it inferior to their fellow Americans. The Constitution is the law of the land. It is quite possibly the most advanced document ever created to provide guidance on a country's direction. It must be adhered to as close as possible, as often as possible. To suggest we should burn it and re-write it is beyond asinine.

The document has made us one of the greatest nations in all the history of the world. Only a liberal would think we should rid ourselves of it. I'll stop now, because if I don't, I'm going to say something very insulting towards you.

#16     Oct 2, 2013
  7. piezoe

piezoe

Thanks for exercising restraint. Much appreciated. :D

#17     Oct 2, 2013
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

+ 3

#18     Oct 2, 2013