Same data, different platforms, different charts/indicators

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by p0box4, Feb 18, 2020.

1. p0box4

p0box4

I have been using Multicharts demo (with AMP futures) which uses CQG for a few weeks but decided to open my account at AMP but instead use Sierra Charts with CQG data.

Now i have been setting up my charts in Sierra Charts but there is a small difference in the charts (very minor) however there is a bigger difference in the indicators.

Below you can see a screenshot of the RSI, both use the same settings yet the top RSI (which is from Multicharts) is different compared to the one from Sierra, which is on the bottom.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? I tried a lot of different settings in Sierra but i am unable to get it the same, current setup is the closest i got and i had to select Wilders Moving Avg Type. I was unable to find out which moving average type Multicharts uses but no matter which one i tried they all where very different.

[​IMG]

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Not able to say, since you've got the different operators.

As well, you're looking at every 15 seconds? That's not going to produce sound results anyway, unless both data sources accepted exactly the same data (dark pools, reconciliations, trades called back, etc). You'd be better looking for issues at 5 minutes, and then telescoping in.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. p0box4

p0box4

These are 500 volume bars from ES, both data comes from CQG.

I have been working on an automated system and i prefer scalping for that.
    The charts look 99% the same, it just seems like Sierra is using a different way to calculate RSI then Multicharts, which seems weird to me. Anyway, i will try higher time frames as you suggested, thanks.

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

tomtr27 likes this.
  5. p0box4

p0box4

I have just discovered that with the 5 minute bar the RSI data is exactly the same until the US session open, then the values change a little bit from the ones at Multicharts.

tommcginnis likes this.
  6. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

7. see if one calculates pre market and the other not

tommcginnis likes this.
  8. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

9. %%
    Even using the same type moving average;
    like a 50ema, I have see about a 13%/+ difference[huge].Looks like your 58+60are not enough to worry about, About the best way I found is; MAKE SURE you know @ least one thing real well. That way I can usually spot errors in QQQ regardless......................................Even the best have errors sometimes; smaller the time frame the more likely I have errors.

10. p0box4

p0box4

I have discovered Sierra Chart by default uses a "evening session". So regular session runs from open to close and evening session runs from close to open. By default Sierra opens a new bar at session start so this means Sierra would start a new bar at the US open no matter if the volume target for the previous bar was met or not.

By setting my session for 24hrs without a regular and evening session. the problem has been resolved. Charts and indicators are 99% the same now.

#10     Feb 19, 2020
    murray t turtle and tommcginnis like this.