Sam Harris simply destroys Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Frederick Foresight, Apr 22, 2021.

1. upload_2021-5-1_8-34-9.png

#11     May 1, 2021
  2. But even proofs like this one rarely seem to make a difference to anyone. I think there is some truth to the saying that people don't believe in God as revealed in the Bible because they don't want to believe, not for lack of evidence.
    It's possible to believe in a God of sorts, but not believe in the Book you provide as evidence. There may in fact be some sort of Creator, I don't know for sure and neither does anyone else, but this body of evidence called the Bible is pure manmade nonsense cooked up by people wanting to control the lives of other people. Believe what you will, I ain't buying it.

#12     May 1, 2021
  3. Good1

Good1

Here, an atheist questions Sam Harris' view on morality.

This overlaps what ive been saying about good. Ask ten people what is good and you get ten different answers. If "God is good", then you'll get nearly ten different Gods.

We need to raise our standards to discover a really good God, or a really Good god.

The only way for god to be Good is for all of our troubles to be voluntary, if not an abuse of our priveledges and /or abilities.

Imagination is an abuse of reality. If reality is the proverbial Good, this would explain how imagination is the proverbial evil.

The making of man would need to be from the domain of imagination, for a Good reality to still be good. It would need be made from our own imagination (abuse of mental capacity) for Good to remain still good.

This is the highest standard. It is beyond imagination, which would explain why any of us (pretty much all men) who value imagination cannot comprehend what is really Good.

Imagination proposes a domain where good and not-good ("evil") can co-exist (as in, "tree of the knowledge of good and evil"), which completely wipes out an objective Good.

The fruit of such a hybrid concept is tempting indeed.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    #13     May 2, 2021
  4. If there is no God there is no evil, just likes and dislikes. https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/technology/2011/09/does-evil-exist-neuroscientists-say-no.amp

#14     May 2, 2021
    studentofthemarkets likes this.
  5. Good1

Good1

Are you saying if there is a God, there IS evil?

If there is Good, there is no evil.

The idea that there can be both good AND evil is an aspect of imagination. Imagination is the proverbial "foreign land" into which the proverbial "prodigal son" wanders, looking for something to gain (something more). The fruit of the idea of combining exclusive opposites into one thing is the physical/material world, a completely faith-based phenomenon, experienced only by a mind which believes in it. Conversely, it is only experienced by a mind which does not believe in Good, and only Good, which is Christ.

#15     May 3, 2021
  6. Pretzels, anyone?

#16     May 3, 2021
  7. WWarrior

WWarrior

Wasted my time watching Sam Harris debate a few years ago , classic bullshitter fake academic LOL

#17     May 6, 2021
    FortuneTeller likes this.
  8. Jordan is way more intelligent than Sam is. It's not even close.

#18     May 7, 2021
    WWarrior likes this.
  9. WWarrior

WWarrior

It's just bizarre , I suppose you have to suffer these clowns when you draw attention to your self like Peterson did . You can see Peterson getting really pissed off and frustrated in these debates with Harris , it's hilarious .

#19     May 7, 2021
    FortuneTeller likes this.
  10. "Suffering the clowns". Exactly.

#20     May 9, 2021
    WWarrior likes this.