Salary: Big 3 autoworker vs PhD college professor

Discussion in 'Economics' started by a529612, Jul 15, 2007.

1. gnome

gnome

And to think, I used to shy away from Mercedes because their workers got $80K per year and 6 weeks vacation for installing lug nuts.

#41     Jul 16, 2007

2. What about all the parts suppliers and accountants etc that benefit from buying american?

Hey would you fight for your country? If so... Then why not Buy for your country? Not blindly buying american...that is ignorant...but when all else is equal.

#42     Jul 16, 2007
  3. CEOs get paid 20 million a year and play golf all the time or eat $900 meals on the company tab. That is reality.
    Do you think that writing a 300 page book on revolutionary movements in Latin America is easy and without effort? Try doing it and then get back to me.

Just because your processor looks, & sounds boring does not mean he is a moron. Perhaps, the class that was given to him to teach basic ..... you fill the blank, is so far behind that teaching it is like going to the dentist.

#43     Jul 16, 2007
  4. Executives get paid, but you are looking at half of the equation. Executives make substantial sacrifices in their personal lives to have those kinds of professional careers.

A professor should make more for writing a book that his/her students are FORCED to purchase on revolutionary movements in Latin America...

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

:D

#44     Jul 16, 2007
  5. i have plumbers and electricians on my payroll the the wealthiest county in the usa. if someone says they make $60 an hour....that is not billed out weekly at 40 hours. pay (even when on your own) yearly pay ranges from 50,000 to maybe 100k. at those 100k ranges, they are working real hard. one of my best friends is a plumber on his own, he always said to me,"one man can only make so much." those tradesmen who do make some good money are those with a crew, and that has to be running optimally.

to the uaw guys, i am sure a lot of that pay package is health and deferred benefits, although i am not so confident in my knowledge there. people get paid what they are worth for the most part.

#45     Jul 16, 2007

6. You completely misunderstood my position. Here is a recap:

1. It takes a lot of research to write a 300 page book on Latin American revolutionary movements. Remember, this is not your every day run of the mill cut and paste 20 page paper that most students are used to. This is serious research. If you think that it is easy, then you are sadly mistaken.

2. Most CEO's do not work any harder than college professors they just get paid a hell of a lot more $$$$$ for their effort.

3. Most professors (none that I know), do not make their students buy their own publications. It is unethical and generally looked down upon in the academia. However it is NOT illegal and some professors do it.

#46     Jul 16, 2007
  7. D2.0

D2.0 Guest

#1 & 2 of your post I agree with.

#3, though, happens far more often than you think. Depends on the university though. But I've taken plenty of classes which listed as required reading, the professor's published work or the department head's published work.

And I went to a state school.

My sister went to Yale and noticed the same thing.

#47     Jul 16, 2007

8. Some professors do it not for monetary reasons but to satisfy their own egos. Namely, somehow, they have convinced themselves that without their publication, the research in the field would not be complete, or that their research present a very unique approach to the issue and hence must be covered by students.
    Selling couple hundred book per semester is hardly a lucrative way to make $$$$$. It is done more for the bragging rights, especially by the new professors who like to see their names on the cover of a book.

#48     Jul 16, 2007
  9. D2.0

D2.0 Guest

True. No argument there. Definitely falls under...

The EGO thing.

#49     Jul 16, 2007
  10. jem

jem

Even if they dont make you buy it you better read it, because there is a good chance half of it will be on your final.

(at least that is what I experienced.)

#50     Jul 16, 2007