Salary: Big 3 autoworker vs PhD college professor

Discussion in 'Economics' started by a529612, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Any idiot with time and money can get a PhD, while an auto worker, or any other worker, actually has to produce something that works in the real world.

#11     Jul 15, 2007
  2. slacker

slacker

And when then the factory closes the UAW worker always has no trouble at all finding employment with identical compensation.... Because, after all, it was the factory worker who was key to production. The only problem with the auto industry today is they do not have enough unionized factory workers!

(Don't really think so..)

#12     Jul 15, 2007
  3. It would be nice to get the Prof's input on making money.

A trader with some contracts can do trading and it can be compared to the automotive and academic community.

160,000 is an amount to look at. so is 80.000.

I like to use 100,000 dollars as a number.

I looked over several of Perry's courses and it looks like he would drive a student away from making money on the markets.

For a while I was hoping he or his equivalent could look into the trading picture.

An intermediate trader who has built his trading account to 100,000 over a few months from, say 12,000 like the kid Sykes started with, could expect to do a daily amount that would reach 80,000 or 160,000 in a matter of days by trading the 100,000 normally.

Making 25,000 on a 100,000 seems like a normal days work. Look at the DOM and focus on the tens digits where 50 contracts show up. Look at some daily legs of a certain value that will give a guy 25,000 every day.

It is three columns the left could be the number of legs and the middle could be profit per trade; let the right column always show 25,000 as the product of the two columns.

One trade is 25,000 as profit per trade. with 50 contracts you have to make 500 bucks total per contract. That is a ten point move.

Can a trade do a 10 point move a day? How about two 5 pointers? or four 2.5 pointers. or 10 one pointers?

It certainly has nothing to do with the markets. 25,000 is there every day when a person is trading 50 contracts.

What is the low margin for 50 contracts? Its not 100,000 dollars now is it?

We need a Prof to check it out. Not Perry but someone who has an open mind.

#13     Jul 15, 2007
  4. LOL .

Well , Usually I use 4 columns, only till the 2 middle legs confirm the outer two legs do we proceed with an action.
    Most actions do not replicate previous actions so we must require confirmation.

You forget that $25,000 on the outer two columns on a four column basis is NOT the basis.

#14     Jul 15, 2007
  5. Jack, have you considered kurtosis in the 3rd column? There may be a lot more money in the market than you think.

#15     Jul 15, 2007
  6. Bootsie

Bootsie

B.S.

I partly agree with your ignorance...

However, I've worked in the CAW environment as management and supervised someone who day after day after fucking endless day hammers a piece of shit engine block 800 times in the exact same spot during the exact same hours next to the same dolt with headphones on and with no windows, no communication (other than the three 12.432 min breaks) and basically from Dec. to Dec. to Dec. times 25 to 30 years.

Are you kidding me.

All they talk about is how much time they have until they retire and then it's, "Hey, did you hear about Larry; he died 6 months into retirement."

I very quickly moved on as my sole was being sucked from my very existence. I still can't believe I did it, but it was def. an eye opener... justification for a higher education.

I've made very good money elsewhere living out a dream and I can tell you that money is definately not everything. There's living and then there's living with life...

#16     Jul 15, 2007
  7. Me too.

#17     Jul 16, 2007
  8. I say college professor job is much more exciting than auto workers. I beg to differ that everyone can get a PH. D. But anyone can do auto work.

College professor do nothing, except talk about something...make a joke..heheehe...put scantrons in the machine.
    Here comes a hard part.
    Two choices: Give an A or B+
    Now you have to think about this because if it is a B+ then you will have to fight the student even if he deserved it for the grade.
    Hmmm.....choices choices choices.

I chose to be a professor. Who wants to do hard labor and look like 70 by the time there are 45 your welcome to hammer away at a plant with probability that you will be eventually replaced by a robot.:eek:

#18     Jul 16, 2007
  9. timmyz

timmyz

very true.

#19     Jul 16, 2007
  10. toc

toc

I thought US managers are as good as any other rich industrialized country like Japan, Germany, UK, France etc. now why the heck would they allow $160K average pay to UAW worker while companies are spilling losses year after year.

An auto mechanic at Midas and others makes $25 a hour and works the elbows and wrists off each single day mostly. That boils down to $50-60K yearly not including the benefits and other minor add-ons. Assembly line UAW worker making $100K a year plus $60K in this and that is nothing BUT WUSSY MANAGERSHIP.

Airlines was another industry where Pilot/Mechanic wages were out of the ball park.............now both unions have been told to either sense up or no more airline industry, and wages have started to make some sense and so has the bottomline profits, even during these times of high fuel prices.

All this while, not to forget also that CEO pay, perks and bonuses are also out of the ball park scenario which has to be brought back into line. Many a times a company has turnedaround due to industry sector getting hot or economy slamming the pedal to higher gear and CEO gets $50M just because the stock price has gone up by certain percentage. That is not fair at all.

#20     Jul 16, 2007