Sager notebooks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Runningbear, Oct 24, 2003.

1. I'm a computer tech. I just convinced one of my NY clients (about a month ago) to upgrade their offices to this laptop. As a deal sweetener, HP threw in a few specials for me of which this was one. I got a free docking setup along with some other things (including increased RAM) also. This unit I got discounted deeply, but I have two coming free for getting them the business. One is spoken for as a Christmas gift. The other will be pressed into service at my home. In this case, volume rules! :)

#41     Nov 1, 2003
  2. That's cheating :) We regular folks can't get this kind of prices

#42     Nov 2, 2003
  3. Unless we can get our own "elite" distribution going....how much for 50 of those......(i'll take some free ones to get the deal going)

#43     Nov 2, 2003
  4. Actually, it really is that simple. The first price point for adjustment starts at 25 units. From time-to-time I'll alert some of my friends and associates when I am looking to do a mass order of certain products so that they can share in the discounts. But it would not be hard to get mass pricing with all the folks here at Elite pitching in. Like maybe a post saying that you were about to buy some laptops and wondered if anyone wanted to group together to get in on a good price. Set a target amount (like 20 or 30 units) and see what happens. :)

#44     Nov 2, 2003
  5. Did the customer buy the units FROM you or HP (or an HP vendor)?

Did the customer know you were personally scoring two free units plus a deep discount on a third (seeing how the customer was actually paying for it indirectly)?

#45     Nov 2, 2003
  6. Yes, the customer bought the units from me. As a reseller for HP, I procured the units at a cost that was under what you'd pay retail. I also passed my cost savings on "directly" to the customer.

I informed the customer that I'd also like to purchase a unit for myself with their order to benefit from such a great price. At the same cost that I was getting for them. I told them that to get an even deeper discount they should offer the deal price to the full compliment of employees and their immediate families. I then contacted HP and told them that the units ordered amount was about to swell even higher if they'd extend the price to the staff of the client.

When I gave them the total order numbers, I was told that not only was the sale assistance appreciated but that there'd be two extra units sent directly to me to show just how much.

Many of the client's employees took advantage of the savings and bought a unit. The client then asked If I was purchasing any units for my family too. I told them that I got part of my compensation for the acquisition with HP products and services. At which point the COO said, "For an order of this size they need to throw in a few units for you!" I told him they did. The client had no intention of buying HP until I showed them the benefits and got them a good price.

When I told my HP contact that I still was going to get another laptop he asked if I'd looked at any other units lately. I told him about the Sager line and my thoughts on a server experiment. He said, "We'll get back to you tomorrow." The next day the Compaq division called and after queries about some of my clientele they asked the magic question. "I see in the files that you have several Proliant servers there, but do you have any Compaq laptops?"

I told him about the two older units that I had and he quickly offered an upgrade plan that I am going to take advantage of. He then said that they'd love if I'd make sure to promote their product line when and where I can. So I said, "Compensation?" He almost flew through the phone with the discounted equipment offers.

All parties are now - VERY HAPPY! :)

#46     Nov 2, 2003
  7. Canyonman00,

Is your HP fairly quiet or does it produce more noise than a normal laptop?

Runningbear

#47     Nov 2, 2003
  8. Techno Geeks of the World UNITE!!!!

#48     Nov 2, 2003
  9. The field, especially in NYC is littered with former tech's of all genre' from all walks within the computer industry, its good to hear that you still maintain your position, let alone, your client, however unlikely, needed you to source over 25 some laptops instead of dealing directly with HP after you mentioned them in discussions.

Most brokerage firms, especially the upscale, white collar, ivy league wanna be firms already have existing relationships with all the vendors, mfgr's and such, so that sourcing a contract and the ability to profit from such a large order is never relegated to consultants, staff or less than officer level personnel.

This was a Sager Notebook thread. It is good to know that HP has caught up to the pact. However, you should perhaps start a HP Pavilion Laptop thread to properly discuss those, as the objective has strayed far from the subject that was started, as this is a hardware thread on Sager Notebooks.

#49     Nov 3, 2003
  10. Add:
    1) da software package watching (presuming that there's sufficient screen real estate for side by side comparison) at least 2 actively traded stock windows with associated level 2 windows (totalling at least 4 windows)

2) add your position monitor, profit monitor, active order entry window and system/connection to DA-server windows (at least 5 windows)

3) add your MSN Messenger or Yahoo IM, or Paltalk or Squawk box applications (each starting with about 3 windows)

4) add your browser windows (presumably for current news) from Briefing.com, Cbs.marketwatch.com or otherwise

5) add your additional charting software, where as most DA platforms charting are not preferred (Add another 4 windows minimum)

6) add your Elitetrade.com browser window (as most active commentators on these threads often are active traders during market hours)

7) add your email accounts browser application -- if you're in conversation with other contacts

8) add your other Win2000 or WinXP system status windows

------

how that equals all the fictious stuff you mentioned, I'll never understand, or perhaps, this fairly common series of stacked applications all running in tandem during trading hours was never really considered by your discussion, I'll never understand---

I've seen these as basic groupings of applications by a whole host of traders from a variety of backgrounds, and thought that others were looking at these configurations as "common" instead of "in the realm of unbelievable", as your comments suggest.

so, what were you talking about, anyways?

#50     Nov 3, 2003