Sager notebooks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Runningbear, Oct 24, 2003.

1. For those who don't mind lugging a weighty machine to have more power to larger screen sizes - here's an option (weighs 9.9 lbs).

Toshiba Satellite P25 - P4 2.8GHz HT, 512 MB SDRAM, 17" screen (1440x900), NVIDIA graphics, 80 GB HD, DVD-multi, Wi-Fi, USB/iLink/FIR/SD media/TVOut, 10/100, and 56K modem - $2199

Alternate config for those who also want to record video and view/record TV, it adds the following - ups processor to P4 3GHz HT, XP Media Center Edition, 1 GB RAM, next step up video - $2799

#31     Oct 31, 2003
  2. I checked the Toshiba models too. The HP Pavilion zd7020us is better equiped and sells in the same price + it's got a much nicer design :D

TM Trader

#32     Oct 31, 2003
  3. I must have missed it or it wasn't in the specs I found - how is the HP better equipped? The specs on the equipment for that model look the same as the Toshiba (the HP maybe a little heavier).

#33     Oct 31, 2003
  4. Ive looked at both...you can configure them identically ? I like the look of the HP better.....IMO.....Screen on Toshiba seems a bit tacky

#34     Oct 31, 2003
  5. Here is a link to both:
    HP Pavillion ZD7020: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=306194&csearch=&cmid=&pfp=srch1

Toshiba Satellite P25-S509 http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=306199&pfp=BROWSE

The Pavillion have faster memory, better grapics card with more memory and is slightly smaller and lighter. The keyboad setup is superior to the Toshiba, it has the side keypad which is unique in the laptop world. There were some other advatages which I can't remember this late in the night...

I actually went to the store today and got the HP Pavillion ZD7020. This is the first post I type using it :D .

TM Trader

#35     Nov 1, 2003
  6. Keep us posted TM. How do u like it? hows the size to deal with? 2 thumbs up from you and I'm getting one!

#36     Nov 1, 2003
  7. Just returned to Dallas from a lengthy road trip using the new HP laptop. It worked wonderfully and the added screen real estate was well worth the savings. I got a deal on my unit ($1,800, delivered) so I was already dancing about that, and the added performance of 2 gigs of RAM just sweetened the whole acquisition even more.

My initial concerns were weight and usability on the plane. Neither turned out to be a problem for me. I even opted to take the emergency door row on the return trip for the added leg-and-laptop-space. I had a movie and two pairs of headphones ready and my girlfriend and I enjoyed a nice (and short) movie on the flight.

Afterwards we got in about twenty minutes of musical pleasure as I have loaded about eight gigs of music so the unit was a great and entertaining host for this excursion. Battery life was pretty good on most of the things that I had to do. I do have a second battery though so I do have a lot of capability. :)

#37     Nov 1, 2003
  8. TM - thanks.

That clarifies it. The specs on the HP that I'd found on another site showed the HP with the same type memory and graphics card as the Toshiba.

I'll have to see if HP finally has anything comparable to Toshiba's ultra-portable Portege - if so, it'd be worth doing a head up comparison between them and maybe switching.

#38     Nov 1, 2003
  9. Thats a great price Canyonman....can you divulge the vendor? I only see a 1gig option on the HP site. :(

thanks

#39     Nov 1, 2003
  10. You got the unit for $1800 - INCLUDING the 2 GB RAM upgrade? Who sold it that cheap?

Or did you upgrade it to 2GB at additional cost?

#40     Nov 1, 2003