Sager notebooks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Runningbear, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Weight and size are not really a concern for me. Screen space and power are.

Sager has dual channel ram which no other laptop maker has.

#11     Oct 24, 2003
  2. The one critical thing that worries me about the Sager is it's heating problems. A friend of mine has one and when it's on for more than 4-6 hours it's reboots itself unless you shut it down for several (long) minutes and let it cool off.

#12     Oct 24, 2003
  3. I run my Sager 12 lb monster 16 hours a day at home and it hasn't rebooted in the 4 months I've had it. It worthless on airplanes but I wanted something for a hotel room and its like taking your desktop. The fan is noisy on a 3.06 because it variable, and kicks on and off all day.

I'd also look into resellers rather than Sager's own site.

Here's a great Sager forum:
    http://talknotebooks.com/

#13     Oct 24, 2003
  4. sorry for my ignorance...ddr ram isn't dual channel ram? HP has that????

#14     Oct 24, 2003
  5. I bought sager notebook last year from www.powernotebooks.com and its motherboard went dead exactly 2 days after warranty expired and I had to send it back and spend 535 dollars to put a new mb, plus two way s/h. I know this can happen to any piece of hardware but I would not buy from them again even though my notebook was far more cheaper than dell or toshiba, and it is difficult to reach their tech support. Notebook was heavy 9.5 pounds, and it heats up frequently, ac adapter connection is atypical its not round like on most notebooks it is several pins and socket design which tend to bend frequently. Battery life is very short hardly 1-2 hours. Newer centrino chips are better in preserving battery life. These are the negatives I would like to mention.
    On positve side its a good value for money, has bright screen and snappy performance. My model is NP5600, pentium4 2.2ghtz, 512 sdram. This model I think is not available any more.

#15     Oct 25, 2003
  6. Spyderman,

DDR Ram and dual channel RAM are not the same thing. Sager Dual Channel Ram runs at 400mhz while the HP runs at 333Mhz, so on paper at least the Sager should be a little faster.

#16     Oct 27, 2003
  7. A "12 pound notebook" and "easy to pick up" shouldn't be used in the same sentence :)

However, you CAN pack a computer in less weight and an as easily transported package when you're talking about a 12 pound notebook that's already not especially useful as a "notebook" PC.

I did the road warrior thing carrying a "luggables" years ago and can't even imagine carrying something that big around anymore.

My personal preference is a Toshiba Portege R100 - it weighs only about 2 1/2 pounds, Centrino machine, built in wireless, up to a GB of RAM, less than an inch thick, easily fits in my briefcase, and is the ultimate in portability. If you really need a high rez screen when you're parked somewhere, toss an LCD panel into a PC bag - external monitor resolution goes up to 2048x1536.

A full blown (but very heavy) 3GHz P4 portable desktop like the Sager is a more raw horsepower package (at the expense of 5 times the weight), but how much raw CPU do you need for trading?

#17     Oct 27, 2003
  8. Granted...it is big.....they had to take the bottom casing off to fit it into the lock at compusa! I like it cause .... I hate being stuck in my office....if no one around I like trading in my living room....or taking it to the back porch..... or trading out on my dock.....so carrying 12 lbs...50 ft. wont break me.....likewise carrying it to a seminar or visiting friends or whatever.....

I like a big screen so I can see everying i normally lookat without squinting or getting to close.....I guess the processor isnt the important issue but RAM.......

appreciate the comments!

#18     Oct 27, 2003
  9. that's nice,
    what's website, and which manufacturer?

#19     Oct 27, 2003
  10. resellers only markup the products, the office sells them at the lowest prices around, short of not offering financing.

my 2850 heats up, but not as much as my Dell, and the Sager actualy cools off, the Dell keeps on heating, and its only a P3 1Ghz

#20     Oct 27, 2003