safety of aspartame/nutrasweet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by eastside, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Yes...even on the diabetes website they are recommending it.

http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-recipes/nutrition/sweeteners.jsp

I do not know what to make of it when supposed "experts" come up with opposite conclusions. :confused:

#51     Sep 18, 2006
  2. After reading this thread, I decided to do a bit of reading up on sucralose. Evidently, there is more controversy about the product than I had previously thought. And although much of it appears to be anecdotal, I think I'll just stick to stevia and small amounts of sugar from now on. (Did I mention that I'm risk averse?) In any event, I mostly used sucralose for coffee, which I have cut down on, anyway. This thread has been something of an eye opener.

#52     Sep 18, 2006
  3. Who cares if this crap is safe , it takes like shit.

#53     Sep 19, 2006

4. Good point:D

#54     Sep 19, 2006
  5. Just in case anyone cares, I decided to try making my own lo-cal pop.

Club Soda, Pure Cherry Extract, Pure Vanilla extract, and some lemon juice from a ReaLemon. Sweetened with Stevia and it tastes great. I am looking forward to experimenting with other flavours.

Jones Soda Pop Company, look out! (That Jones Root Beer is the best pop I ever tasted).

#55     Mar 31, 2007
  6. My Canadian relatives once brought over some of the most foul tasting "refreshment" (sic) I have ever had. Dr Pepper it was called. I ended using it to clean coins. I still don't know if this was a practical joke or not. Anyone heard of this 'beverage'?

#56     Mar 31, 2007

7. Its not that bad!
    Not great, but you know..........

I stayed at the property they filmed one of there adds on, beatifull joint, hundreds of acres, palm trees, beach...................

It was bizarre, they had a chopper, half a dozen trucks, film crews, models etc, whole works and jerks, shoot took three weeks IIRC, cost some ridiculous amount, maybe a mill-ish +im not sure.

3 weeks.

The add came out, they'd blurred everything with psychadelic shit, babes on the beach -very breifly-and that was it, like 15 seconds or something, and i had no idea what they were selling.
    Neither did anyone else, i guess.

The property was only in it for a couple of seconds, they could have done that with a computer!?!
    The helicopter? about 3 seconds footage-and you'd never have guessed they used a real one.

Advertising, what a gig.

#57     Mar 31, 2007
  8. Interesting...
    I suppose I have no right to judge. I actually like some of those "mystery" soft drinks from Asia that sensible people don't even consider purchasing. Stuff from Japan that is called Calpis (sounds like Cowpiss and some say tastes like it)

I had this 'Bird's Nest' soft drink in Hong Kong once and my Chinese...err hostess was so surprised I actually tried it let alone finished the can!

'Grass Jelly' is popular in Asia (I like it!) most detest it.
    Ching Po Long is one of my favourites but most people say it is like eating cellulose soaked in some (unidentifiable) sweet syrupy mixture.

Might give Dr Pepper another try

#58     Mar 31, 2007
  9. I do not have first hand evidence of this (I have not read the FDA documents), but the claim is that:

- The FDA committee of 3 medical doctors recommended that Aspartame NOT be approved for human consumption.

- Monsanto lobbied the FDA board.

- The FDA Board approved Aspartame, against the recommendation of the FDA committee.

And in one sentence, I can get 50% of the population to throw out all their Aspartame, and here it is:

The lobbyist for Monsanto was Donald Rumsfeld.

PS Insulin levels are one of the biggest factors in human health. This is something that I HAVE seen first hand in the scientific research. Several studies confirm that the benficial effects of caloric restriction on aging, are actually due to insulin restriction.
    Insulin levels are also still the only risk factor positively correlated with heart disease (despite the lies you hear in pharma commercials).

#59     Mar 31, 2007
  10. maxpi

maxpi

Stevia is probably the best choice in sweeteners. I've worked for a health related US corporation, no way am I ever believing anything said by a US corporation regarding health nowadays, look at all the recalled drugs for an example of "science" in action.

Stevia is just squeezed from a leaf, that's it, not a big high tech thing for sure, you can grow the plant easily and it is the only sweetener that has a net alkalinizing effect on the body.

#60     Mar 31, 2007