safety of aspartame/nutrasweet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by eastside, Aug 24, 2006.

1. I don't drink it anymore, but Diet Pepsi was the dizzam shiznit. I'm sorry, what are we talking about?

#21     Aug 25, 2006
  2. Pabst -- I am going into diabetic coma simply looking at those wonderful Riemannian manifolds. We have one in Reno, but have yet to set foot in the store.

#22     Aug 25, 2006
  3. maxpi

maxpi

Chocolate gives me horrendous headaches. The industry has had articles printed in women's magazines that "disprove" the chocolate-headache connection. !! All I know is I had a lifetime of horrendous, disabling headaches, then I quit chocolate and I have had zero headaches... proof enough for me and it also proves that these industries do not give a rats ass about our health. Maybe we should not give a rats ass about their [financial] health?

#23     Aug 25, 2006

4. No they don't, just look at the FDA approved Merck/Vioxx.
    BTW, sorry you had to give up chocolate.

#24     Aug 25, 2006
  5. I have concrete proof that a lot of "road rage" incidents are caused by Aspartame.

#25     Aug 25, 2006
  6. Perhaps your dealer was cutting the chocolate with a potentially harmful substance. They will do that sometimes to cut costs and sell more product. Milk added to chocolate is a sure sign of an unscrupulous supplier. Look for the tell-tale lighter coloring; it is irrefutable evidence of malicious tampering. Also, I hope you were not snorting the stuff. It is best rubbed along the gums for maximum effect. Personally, I have never had a chocolate headache, although I confess to an occasional OD stomach ache.

#26     Sep 15, 2006
  7. maxpi

maxpi

The chocolate part of my life is gone forever.... I miss it dearly...,,,, but I am trying to compensate by getting rich. Actually I would settle for replacing the job income, or actually, near term, being able to pay the credit cards would be pretty good.

Regarding the aspartame [how IS that pronounced anyhow?], I work in the implantables industry and I know that on a day to day basis industry does not give a rats ass about my health, so why trust aspartame, or the yellow package stuff or the pink or the blue ones? [dang, yellows, pinks, blues, reminds me of the days when I used to score from some biker gang guys].

What one can do, one being a rational being, no longer doing business with the biker guys, still on speaking terms of course, is just learn to use very little of the stuff, sugar included. I cut way down on the amount of that stuff. It takes a month to get used to it, but coffee with about a tenth of a cube of sugar tastes good. There ya' go, don't go tellin' people I never gave out a good idea.

#27     Sep 15, 2006
  8. opm8

opm8

Here's some good reading: google "aspartame ant poison."

--opm8

#28     Sep 15, 2006
  9. If you would like your coffee sweeter but don't wish to use sugar or an artificial sweetener, then you may wish to consider stevia:

http://www.answers.com/stevia?ff=1

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/42/1668_50390.htm

Be sure to also check Dr. Andrew Weil's website, www.drweil.com and do a search. But you may have to wait a day or two. Presently, the search function is not available on his site. It is at Dr. Weil's site that I first learned about stevia. If you try it, be sure to try the root (which is sold as a fine white powder) rather than the ground leaf.

I also use sugar sparingly, and often alternate between sucralose (the artificial sweetener made from sugar) and stevia.

#29     Sep 15, 2006
  10. Thanks everyone.

After reading everything I could find online about all the sweeteners, I decided to quit them all except for 2 packets of sweet n' low a day for coffee.

A lot of people I asked don't use them either, especially people at the gym, due to fluid retention & fat storage side effects. Also some people with kids who shop at Whole Foods & don't give their kids any foods with chemicals.

I switched to plain yogurt from the "lite". It has more calories but also more calcium & more protein, then I just add a little honey or fruit. OK OK, sometimes I add Hershey's chocolate syrup LOL.

This might be one of those products they ban 30 years from now, who knows.

#30     Sep 15, 2006