Safe to go short?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by mario0887, Dec 31, 2019.

1. schizo

schizo

Those who jump in the water first are usually the first ones to die. My advice: Wait. You don't need to catch the exact top.

#21     Dec 31, 2019
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  2. Handle123

Handle123

Only thing safe to say, all humans will died one day.

I been going short/hedged Indexes for over 2.5 years, couple times they have hit first targets and then eventually get stopped out at breakeven and the rest get equaled out cause losses in Indexes and hedges kick in to equal out. I am still very long and few short in stocks.

I am often way too early in trading long term commodities, I have back tested enough to know my account would be wiped out if not for hedges. So you going against the major trend of Indexes without insurance, well.....

Automation averages per year 5-15% being correct on long term signals, once new trend starts, dance options around position, but deeper into trend, that becomes too dicey.

Granted, if you do find the top, it will be incredible ride, but it been 4 dozen plus attempts for me already and zero for 48+, so win/loss percentage not very good, ROFLMAO

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

#22     Dec 31, 2019
    INFLUENCER and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  3. themickey

themickey

I read once, years ago, that shorting penny stocks was the only best way to trade penny stocks, and I kind of agree with that, but would add, shorting penny stocks was the best method for shorting - period.
    Shorting indexes or well capitilized stocks - "no no". :)
    Intraday trading is different, am refering to over longer periods.

#23     Dec 31, 2019
    Wide Tailz and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  4. richDude

richDude

shorting the index not so much. But perhaps shorting individual stocks that have already broken down on the charts.

#24     Dec 31, 2019
  5. padutrader

padutrader

why?
    because it has gone up?
    in that case it should be a long position.

#25     Jan 1, 2020
    murray t turtle and lovethetrade like this.
  6. S2007S

S2007S

Yea I forget in a fed fueled bull market nothing matters but the fed and their historical low interest rates and free trillions.

#26     Jan 1, 2020
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  7. richDude

richDude

RSI = really stupid indicator?

#27     Jan 1, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. Proof... "Don't trade without stops/hedges".

TRY to "let your profits run", as best you can manage. But ALWAYS make sure to cut your losses short!

1 or 2 big traps can ruin a lifetime of successes. Don't give it a chance to happen to you.

#28     Jan 1, 2020
  9. We have never seen such a time before, but that appears to be the dominant case.

#29     Jan 1, 2020
  10. Not at all. Useful too if you understand it.

#30     Jan 1, 2020