safe jobs...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SWINGTRADER77, Dec 27, 2010.

1. drcha

drcha

There are many professions in the medical world where one can spend a year or two getting a certificate and then get a real job that pays a living wage: respiratory therapy, occupational therapy, radiology technology, pharmacy tech, etc. The certificates are not easy--you have to take some fairly serious science courses, but they are easier than a nursing curriculum.

But it does not sound like the OP is really the formal education type. So my idea would be, either pursue a trade, or save some trading money and buy a franchise that is not too labor-intensive or messy (e.g. a UPS store).

Nursing is hard, physically and psychologically. And the only place to really go in it is management, which is highly political and is really no longer nursing at all.

#11     Dec 28, 2010
  2. Bob111

Bob111

police,forces..yep..those are safe. just like a cabby from your other useless thread. trader is safest job. sit at home all day long. no boss,no criminals to chase,no enemies to kill,no commanders..just you,market,red tube and your right hand...nah..use left one for red tube and right one to buy and sell. what a life.. :p :p :p

#12     Dec 28, 2010
  3. drcha

drcha

It really requires two things to get going in nursing: some experience, and a genuine absorbing interest in nursing. (sounds like trading, huh?)

Experience: I have seen the nearly new grads come to the hospital for their so-called internship. They stand around not knowing what to do, and they look as if they have never been inside a hospital in their entire life. It is not really their fault; no one has time to teach them anything while they are there. No one wants to hire new grads because they have no experience. To get experience, take any job in health care--any job, including as an entry-level orderly or nursing assistant or get an LPN on the side while working on the bachelor's in nursing. If you go out of your way to help an experienced nurse with bedpans and such when she is busy, chances are very high that she will go out of her way to teach you something when she is not. Nurses tend to be very giving people and if you give without expectation of receiving, you will probably get repaid 10-fold, and you'll have a reference to boot. (forgive the pronoun here, yes I know there are two genders)

Interest: Experience is important in nursing, but despite many years of it, some nurses just never get very good at what they do. The great ones are those who love nursing, read about it on their time off, ask a million questions, pump the doctors for information and books to read, and do everything they can to dig into the profession and be the best they can be.

Those who know the ropes and dive into nursing head first really do save lives daily. The poor ones who do not read anything that isn't forced on them, do not know what they don't know, or worst of all--are uninterested, are a danger to themselves and others. (still sounds like trading to me)

#13     Dec 28, 2010
  4. bone

bone

United States Department of the Treasury, Division of Internal Revenue.

Or most any other Federal government job it seems.

#14     Dec 28, 2010
  5. Firefighter...
    $1,200 bucks to put yourself through the school of 800 or so hours.

"work" 24 hours to be off 72 hours, maybe even get another occupation on the side.

Trade at "work" and at home and sleep 98% of nights you "work"

OK, disclaimer... I'm a cop and firefighting isn't thaaaat easy, I guess I just have some hidden resentment built up. :p :D

#15     Dec 28, 2010
  6. No such thing as safe...just ask Alberto Vilar. In case you havent heard of him, here is his story. He earned a masters degree in economics in 1979 and 2 years later he made his first million (that was back when $1 million was worth alot.) Fast forward 20 years to 2001 and he would parlay that Million into a 1 Billion dollar net worth.

Now...you have to feel pretty safe with $1 billion in the bank, right? Well it only took a few short years before he lost all his money and started stealing clients money. By 2005 he was arrested for misusing clients money and now he is broke and scheduled to be released from prison in 2019.

No such thing as safe. No matter how skilled you are, or how stable you think your job is, shit can always hit the fan and you can lose everything, no matter who you are.

Its better to try to just enjoy your life, do what you love and let the chips fall as they may.

#16     Dec 28, 2010
  7. drcha

drcha

well....these things don't just "happen"--legit people don't suddenly start stealing clients' money

#17     Dec 28, 2010
  8. Breaking big corporations into smaller companies will create new jobs.

#18     Dec 29, 2010
  9. Give me a couple days at the IRS office looking over returns and I'll tell you who's making money and what are the good jobs.

Let's get serious, all this anecdotal evidence in the media and job fair bs is just that. If you want to get to OZ, we should ask someone who has been there.

#19     Dec 29, 2010