Saddam's Soldiers Surrender

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Mar 9, 2003.

1. SADDAM'S SOLDIERS SURRENDER

Mar 9 2003

Mike Hamilton reports from Camp Coyote in Kuwait

TERRIFIED Iraqi soldiers have crossed the Kuwait border and tried to surrender to British forces - because they thought the war had already started.

The motley band of a dozen troops waved the white flag as British paratroopers tested their weapons during a routine exercise.

The stunned Paras from 16 Air Assault Brigade were forced to tell the Iraqis they were not firing at them, and ordered them back to their home country telling them it was too early to surrender.

The drama unfolded last Monday as the Para batallion tested mortars and artillery weapons to make sure they were working properly.

The Iraqis found a way across the fortified border, which is sealed off with barbed-wire fencing, watchtowers and huge trenches.

A British Army source in Kuwait contacted me to explain how the extraordinary surrender bid unfolded. The source said: "The British guys on the front-line could not believe what was happening. They were on pre-war exercises when all of a sudden these Iraqis turned up out of nowhere, with their hands in the air, saying they wanted to surrender.

"They had heard firing and thought it was the start of the war.

"The Paras are a tough, battle-hardened lot but were moved by the plight of the Iraqis. There was nothing they could do other than send them back.

"They were a motley bunch and you could barely describe them as soldiers - they were poorly equipped and didn't even have proper boots. Their physical condition was dreadful and they had obviously not had a square meal for ages. No one has ever known a group of so-called soldiers surrender before a shot has been fired in anger."

Last night the Ministry of Defence officially denied the incident had taken place, but the story was corroborated by an intelligence source.

Meanwhile Saddam Hussein has ordered thousands of troops back to Baghdad as he turns the city into a fortress.

It is believed that two rings of steel are being established around Baghdad. The outer one consists of regular Iraqi army soldiers and the inner one is made up of Republican Guard fighters - thought to be the only troops that will put up fierce resistance.

2. Babak

Babak

I sincerely hope that the Iraqi soldiers act just as quickly when the war does start (for real). I don't think they have any reason to be killed (any more than innocent civilians) as they are controlled by Saddam through fear.

Oh, and I hope msfe/wild and others take note of this and realize that a potential war will be a matter of days/hours and not a quagmire. [sigh] But somehow I think instead our resident cut/paster will instead find a Guardian link about the evil US empire.

Here is the link btw:

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/news/page.cfm?objectid=12715943&method=full&siteid=106694

3. They must have been trained by the French.

4. Too funny, but possibly true! I am amazed that we have not identified the common threads amongst the main bunch of detractors. The French, German, and Russian governments have all had the distinction of being on the losing side of a major battle of some sort with the US. Be it actual, economic, or otherwise, they all understand the losing side of the transaction. And they're still, PISSED!

I look forward to the upcoming vote on the resolution. Afterwards I would hope Powell's statement would be along this line:
    But that is only a wish! :)

5. "...too early to surrender."

F. P.

6. Agony of mother set ablaze by Iraqis
    By Julius Strauss
    (Filed: 07/03/2003)

Shortly after three o'clock on a hot afternoon 37-year-old Nazif Mamik Tofik, an Iraqi Kurd, approached the border post carrying two five-gallon canisters of fuel.

She hoped to cross to the Kurdish-controlled side and sell them for a pound or two, which would help feed her eight hungry children.

Nazif Mamik Tofik whimpers with pain in Sulaimania hospital
    As she stepped up to the Iraqi checkpoint, a military policeman suddenly pulled a knife, slashed open the flimsy plastic containers and splashed petrol all over her.

Then the head of the Iraqi border guard casually walked up to her, pulled a lighter from his pocket and set her ablaze. Soaked in fuel, she began to burn like a torch. That was on Monday afternoon. Yesterday Nazif lay in Sulaimania emergency hospital, on the Iraqi side, whimpering with pain.

FULL TEXT AT: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/03/07/wagon07.xml

7. "too early to surrender"!!

LMAO!!
    :D

8. Too early ... according to international convention we get to take some pot shots at you first. Now start running! :eek:

9. Babak

Babak

10. msfe

msfe

1 more [masked] `defector´ telling the interrogator exactly what Rumsfeld wants to hear - and knew all along anyway

#10     Mar 10, 2003