Saddam's party to be allowed......UNBELIEVABLE

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BSAM, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Ok, and then when we pull out, how does the new government keep the peace and prevent anarchy?

#51     Apr 29, 2004
  2. BSAM

BSAM

max401
    Elite Member

04-29-04 02:06 PM

Ok, and then when we pull out, how does the new government keep the peace and prevent anarchy?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BSAM
    Elite Member

04-29-04 12:47 PM

If the Bush Administration doesn't pursue the right approach, I say let's get out of there NOW!!! I'm not saying that your question doesn't bring up a good point, I just put the U.S. and our guys first. No more Vietnams, no more leaving our young guys to just be sitting ducks. Whatever happens if we get out could be tragic. What's going on now is tragic. Tough questions. If the Iraqis don't have the will to mold and defend their chance for a democracy now, will they ever? As I've stated, do this war right or go home.

#52     Apr 29, 2004
  3. I'm addressing your complaint of using ex-Saddam regime Officers. Even after your idea of going full tilt and wiping out all (presently known) opposition, who's going to mind the store when we leave? You want the Iraqis to have the will to mold their own demopcratic destiny? Then let's leave them with our idea of who can do the job. Were not giving one back to someone like Eichmann for God's sake.

#53     Apr 29, 2004
  4. BSAM

BSAM

You know, it's very often hard to get points across on the internet. Either things are not stated just how one would want to state them or the other party misunderstands, etc. At any rate....

No; no known member of the former Baath Party should hold office or any command position in the Iraqi military.

Going full tilt and wiping out all opposition? Not possible. When it comes to war, I just believe in giving your enemy more than his "money's worth". At the end of this thing, someone is going to yield, one way or another. The U.S. can absolutely make the enemy yield. It's just that our military plan in Iraq has gone astray and now the Bush Administration seems awfully confused about which way to go. Remember: Shock and awe, winning the hearts and minds, surrounding Fallujah with a deadline, listening to the clerics, major combat operations are over, not allowing Baathists to participate in the government? Which way are we going here? I damn sure don't know.

It's clear that there is a large element in Iraq that only understands one thing: brute force. Our brute force response should still be one that is brought on by the actions of our enemy in Iraq. Let them, more or less, call the shots, so to speak. If "full tilt" is what it takes, so be it. All I'm saying is, what we are doing right now, isn't getting the job done. This is why I keep calling this thing a quagmire. Because it is.

If the U.S. takes the appropriate action now, the Iraqis will be able to "mind the store". That's (supposedly) one of the main points of our involvement.

If the Iraqis don't have the will to mold their own destiny after what we have done for them, I'm not sure they will ever have the will. Their culture is of a different mindset about government, freedom, lifestyle than what we have been trying to show them. Our efforts for change didn't go over too well in Vietnam. Doesn't seem to be working in Iraq either.

Hit 'em hard, if that is what is required, or bring our guys to the house.

#54     Apr 29, 2004
  5. Nah, one just has to have clarity in his written word and not try to argue to many premises at the same time.

There is hardly any comparison between the two.

#55     Apr 29, 2004
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Hmmm.....Guess my opinion is just gonna have to be different than yours. Or, maybe you're just not old enough to remember.

#56     Apr 29, 2004
  7. Obviously. What are the similarities as you see them?

#57     Apr 29, 2004