Saddam Closer To Bomb Than Anyone Thought

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Doubter, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Too bad ya gotta be such a smartass.

Did I lace my post with sarcasm? No. I clearly merely said "comments?" because I wanted clarificiation. Prof. Bond did so, albeit not without sarcasm, for which I am grateful anyway.

As to your asking about a single shred of evidence found regarding a nuclear or biological weapons program, please consider the following:

1) Why were 1.8 tons of low-enriched uranium, enough, according to some scientists, to be enough for a single nuke, found at Tuwaitha? If we had indeed dismantled Saddam's program, what was it doing there? And why was it found amidst 500 tons of yellowcake?

2) Centrifuges. The physicist who ran Saddam's centrifuge program says that after the first Gulf War, the program was largely dismantled. But it wasn't destroyed.

In his 2004 book, "The Bomb in My Garden," Dr. Mahdi Obeidi told U.S. interrogators: "Saddam kept funding the IAEC [Iraq Atomic Energy Commission] from 1991 ... until the war in 2003."

"I was developing the centrifuge for the weapons" right through 1997, he revealed.

Dr. Obeidi said Saddam ordered him under penalty of death to keep the technology available to resume Iraq's nuke program at a moment's notice.

Obeidi said he buried "the full set of blueprints, designs - everything to restart the centrifuge program - along with some critical components of the centrifuge" under the garden of his Baghdad home.

"The centrifuge is the single most dangerous piece of nuclear technology," Dr. Obeidi says in his book. "With advances in centrifuge technology, it is now possible to conceal a uranium enrichment program inside a single warehouse."

And yes, the centrifuges were dug up:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/06/25/sprj.irq.centrifuge/

Inspector David Kay said, "There's no way that that would have been discovered by normal international inspections. I couldn't have done it. My successors couldn't have done it."

Evidence of an existing nuclear program? No.

Evidence of Saddam's hiding materiel and equipment to start up the program when he was again able to? Seems like it.

And is George Sada, ex-Iraqi Air Force general who says WMD was tranferred to Syria, not credible at all?

Forget your partisanship for a moment and consider all of the above.

Comments?

#31     Nov 4, 2006
  2. So, hap-are you suggesting, the suitcase nuke scenario is unrealistic?
    Thats big volume your talking about .

#32     Nov 4, 2006
  3. Not sure what you're referring to....I assume you mean the suitcase nukes from the former Soviet Union. What does that have to do with Iraq?

#33     Nov 4, 2006

4. The former soviet union had suitcases?
    Well thats news to me, i imagined they used burlap bags and animal skins to contain their top-secret WMD's.
    In much the same manner, osama escaped on a donkey, low tech like.

Damn lousy-blue -phone- to- establishment headquarters-livin- in- oahu-troll.

#34     Nov 4, 2006
  5. About NTI (Nuclear Threat Initiative)

Working for a Safer World

Concerned that the threat from nuclear weapons had fallen off most people's radar screens after the end of the Cold War, CNN founder Ted Turner asked former U.S. Senator Sam Nunn (D).......
    founded the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) in January 2001.......

NTI's mission is to strengthen global security by reducing the risk of use and preventing the spread of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. NTI seeks to raise public awareness, serve as a catalyst for new thinking and take direct action to reduce these threats...... NTI is guided by an experienced, international Board of Directors who share a common goal of taking action to reduce the gap between the global threats and the global response.

NTI has created this web site to give people access to the facts about these threats....

The terrorists who planned and carried out the attacks on September 11th showed a willingness to take innocent lives, limited only by the capacity of the weapons available to them....

The world needs to do everything possible to keep weapons of mass destruction out of terrorist hands.

....Saddam Hussein's single-minded pursuit of nuclear weapons....

.....Although much of Iraq's nuclear infrastructure was destroyed or severely impaired by the coalition air strikes in 1991, Saddam Hussein continued his clandestine pursuit of nuclear weapons, employing as many as 2,000 nuclear weapons-dedicated engineers and physicists at least into the mid-1990s.[9] Given these human and technical resources, Western security experts feared that if Saddam were able to acquire enough fissile material on the black market, he could produce a nuclear weapon in a matter of months.[10] This in fact was one of the justifications for the US military invasion of Iraq that took place on 20 March 2003......

9 September 2002
    Institute for Science and International Security (IISS) Director Dr. John Chipman notes the following regarding the Iraq's current nuclear capacity: (1) Iraq does not possess facilities to produce fissile material in sufficient amounts for nuclear weapons; (2) Iraq would require several years and extensive foreign assistance to build such fissile material production facilities; (3) It could, however, assemble nuclear weapons within months if fissile material from foreign sources were obtained; and (4) It could divert domestic civil-use radioisotopes or seek to obtain foreign material for a crude radiological device.
    —Dr. John Chipman, "Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction: A Net Assessment," IISS Strategic Dossier, 9 September 2002.

14 November 2002
    The UN Security Council enacts Resolution 1441 demanding that Iraq comply with its obligations to disarm as required by this resolution and other UN Security Council resolutions.

In 1972, Iraq signed the Biological and Toxic Weapons Convention that prohibited the development, production and stockpiling of biological weapons. Nevertheless, Iraq began pursuing offensive biological warfare (BW) capabilities in the years following 1985 with the construction of a number of...

By 1998, Iraq refused to cooperate further with UNSCOM, forcing inspectors to pull out of Iraq. The inspectors claimed that due to Iraq's tactics of deception, underreporting, concealment and unilateral destruction of biological weapons during the eight years of inspections, it was difficult to estimate the true magnitude of BW weapons remaining in Iraq......

From January 1999 to November 2002 very little new information became available regarding Iraqi attempts to revive its WMD programs. However, given Iraq's past efforts to conceal its activities and retain its capabilities, Western intelligence agencies considered it likely that UNSCOM's withdrawal had led to a restoration of CW production capabilities. Intelligence provided by Iraqi opposition groups such as the Iraqi National Congress (INC) reinforced these concerns.

ISG uncovered information that the Iraqi Intelligence Service (IIS) maintained throughout 1991 to 2003 a set of undeclared covert laboratories to research and test various chemicals and poisons, primarily for intelligence operations.

#35     Nov 4, 2006