Sad Sad Day for PALM,RIMM

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by WallstYouth, Jan 9, 2007.

1. personally i dont want other drivers even talking on the cell phone when driving. mythbusters did a good episode about how the effects of talking on the cell phone while driving were as bad / worse than being drunk.

#21     Jan 9, 2007
  2. dchang0

dchang0

It won't be a flop, just because of the hipsters and gadget freaks that'll camp out to buy it, but I agree that the lack of a physical keyboard really blows.

Why? I joined the tablet PC craze and found that touchscreen interfaces just aren't fast enough for text entry. Even with a virtual keyboard on the screen, it's just too slow. And anyone who's tried the I-Tech Virtual Laser Keyboard knows that virtual keyboard technology is lacking in tactile response and thereby confusing and disorienting.

I decided to buy a Treo 680 for its full physical QWERTY keyboard, even though I have known about the upcoming iPhone for months (Apple rumor mill.) The reason? I can use the phone even while not looking at the screen--all you've got to do is feel for the nub on the 5 key an dial.

That said, the proximity-sensor and accelerometer and the intuitive swipe-gestures of the Apple iPhone are going to change input devices forever. My Treo 680, though newly released, will look ancient in comparison.

#22     Jan 10, 2007
  3. Have you watched the keynote and seen the demonstrations of it, or are you just going off an article you read or what some guy on cnbc said?

I've marked nitro's words "iPhone flops as a first release".

ahh......absolutely, positively no freakin way. That thing is a huge leap forward over anything presently available, the only problem they are going to have is trying to keep the shelves stocked.

Either some of the people here posting that its just a cool design of an existing concept haven't seen the full demonstration or what it can do, or there are some devices i haven't seen.....which is possible, i haven't been in a cell phone store in 2-3 months, but I doubt it.

Apple aside, I sure wouldn't want to be long Rimm or Palm over the long term.

#23     Jan 10, 2007
  4. One of the few who can think for himself instead of letting Apple make up his mind. Great post.

If you value the fad, buy the I-products. If you just look for value, well, you won't be buying I-products unless someone is selling it at a discount.

#24     Jan 10, 2007
  5. My friend bought a phone for $500 3 years ago that did all that and more. If you look at Asian markets (S. Korea as the best example), they have long surpassed whatever the next top of the line new Iphone will be.

This statement just confirms my original suspicion that your thinking is heavily influenced by your love for the I-fad. AAPL's and RIMM's/PALM's markets have little crossover.

#25     Jan 10, 2007
  6. Agreed. But if you value making money, you won't discount the huge cultural and style premium that apple demands with its products.

Also, who knows, I won't judge until I use this thing myself. It sure looks nifty.

#26     Jan 10, 2007
  7. nassau

nassau

these news breaks do one thing imo and that's give us swing traders a chance to make good money.
    this is momentum and short squeezing. great op's for shorts.
    rimm is about to release the new blackberry I understand new few days to week. aapl new phone has no history just hype providing great op's.
    we are short aapl and long rimm when it drops to 131 or below.
    so far today several traders have grapped over a dollar several times on scaling into a 1000share position on the these crazy moves.
    good luck with your trades.

w

#27     Jan 10, 2007
  8. Yes I did watch the demos and everything. I'm telling you, my PDA already does all that and I've got the ability to install many more programs.

The only thing that really sets this apart is the ability to zoom the screen and a good amount of built in memory. They haven't invented something new, but they've made it sound like it. My PDA has been out for quite some time and has more functionality than the iphone.

LG did the same thing with the "chocolate" phone. They made it sound like it was the only phone that could store and play mp3s. They even styled it to look like the ipod. Fact is that there were already many phones that could play mp3s. I lived in Korea (which another poster made reference to) from 98' to 2001. In 1999 every kid on the street had an mp3 cell phone. It took the US market until 06' to grab onto it.

Apple has not done anything realy new but they are making everyone think they did. And for that reason this iphone will sell like mad.:)

#28     Jan 10, 2007
  9. S2007S

S2007S

The cellphones in the U.S. are about 2 years behind what they have in Japan. This phone is being extremely OVER HYPED at this point, im bullish on AAPL but I think there is just too much talk going on about this phone.

I was listening to some show and the mentioned battery life being approx 5 hours, I dont think thats enough. IF your going to develop something this big give it at least a 7-10 hours of battery life. Also the networks in the US are still way behind, still having problems rolling out 3G.

#29     Jan 10, 2007
  10. S2007S

S2007S

Yea the japan market is well ahead of the US market in what cellphones can do. Check out some of these cellphone sites that sell phones from their country, you might spend over 700 but they are more advanced than most pdas on the market verizon wireless is giving away.

#30     Jan 10, 2007