Sad Sad Day for PALM,RIMM

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by WallstYouth, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Excellent point, and remember when the mouse first came out as a computer interface. Everyone wanted to know why you would ever want to take your hands off the keyboard, and now everyone wonders how they could use a computer without a mouse.

#11     Jan 9, 2007
  2. just21

just21

Watch the presentation on www.apple.com it is very impressive.

#12     Jan 9, 2007
  3. nitro

nitro

Oh wait wait - Is there a way to dial a number without having to use a pen and I can use my hand, on big onscreen simulated buttons?

If so, I take it all back...But then won't the screen get smudged by constant pushing on the screen? The point is, I am driving, I want to dial a number, it better be as easy as a keypad which can be done with one hand...

One thing though, I don't like the design. Looks pretty plain to me... :( I wish they had curved the sides so that if fits nicely in my hands. But the screen may have suffered as a result...

nitro

#13     Jan 9, 2007
  4. ya there is no pen involved with the iphone apparently. its all tapping/scrolling on the screen. apple is all about plain / minimal stuff. even though the phone is pretty bare. i thought it looked amazing with a nice high res background picture covering the whole phone.

#14     Jan 9, 2007
  5. nitro

nitro

Then that blows imo. I don't want to look at the screen when I am driving. I need two hands to do that and tap. That is not going to happen when I am driving.

That is the beauty of a POCP (plain old cell phone) - I can use it with one hand.

nitro

#15     Jan 9, 2007
  6. From the horses mouth.
    One awesome feature is the ability to customize your UI, put keys and short-cuts any where.

I can customize the UI to have 40 buttons each button is preprogrammed to dial someone in my contact list :) that's pretty nifty the iPhone gives you the power to define your own UI.

9:47 am use fingers - uses multitouch
    works like magic
    9:47 am nobody wants a stylus
    9:47 am stylus control
    9:47 am get rid of buttons nad make giant screen
    9:47 am how can they take that to mobile device
    9:47 am bitmap screen can show ui, pointing device.
    9:46 am can't add a button to phones, doesn't work. buttons and controls can't change
    they solved it in computers 20 years ago
    9:46 am problem is bottom 40 keyboards there, make a mess
    control buttons fixed in plastic
    apps want different UI's
    9:46 am revolutionary interface - interplay of hardware and software
    showing treo & blackberry, etc
    9:45 am years of development
    9:45 am we want to make a product way smarter than what's been around before
    here it is
    9:44 am really complicated
    9:44 am smart, not easy to use

#16     Jan 9, 2007
  7. Nitro brings up good points. Many of us already have touch screen PDAs. I have the audiovox one with verizon. This new iphone isn't that much different. They made scrolling easier with multi touch and the device is thinner, but it still has the same old shortcomings. That is everybody's complaint when they use my phone, the fact that they have to use a touchscreen to dial. It is incredibly cumbersome compared to a regular phone. I have voice dial and all that too, but when it comes down to it, the plain old cell phone is better for making calls.

What apple has done here is the same thing they did with the ipod. Somehow they convinced everyone that they had made something that didn't exist previously. I've talked to so many people that seemed to be under the impression that there isn't an alternative mp3 player out there. They didn't invent anything new with the ipod but they managed to convince millions of people to buy it rather than one of the many alternative that had already existed for quite some time.

This phone is mainly just variation of others that have been out for quite some time. A guy at work was trying to tell me it was worth dropping my service and switching to Cingular (who's service blows BTW) to get this new phone. When it came down to it, there were only a couple differences between it and the PDA I have now:

iphone has better scrolling and zoom features for display and more built in memory.

My PDA has fully functional "office mobile".

Beyond that there's not really much difference.

#17     Jan 9, 2007
  8. That's like saying a shirt is a shirt, a car is a car, and a computer is a computer. We all know there are vast differences whether just perceived or factual. Apple had done a good job with perception, so it will be successful.

#18     Jan 9, 2007
  9. Agreed. All this is is wrapping the "cool design" of Apple over an existing concept. The Cingular 8525 and other products made by HTC are pretty much the same already. You can voice dial, you can use touch-screen to dial,e tc.

Like one of the poster said though, it's hard to type or dial using the screen because it's not tactile. Can you imagine a screen-based keyboard for daily use with your computer? that would drive you nuts.

Plus for business, I can't see myself using an iPhone while sitting next to a HS kid using his.

#19     Jan 9, 2007
  10. RAY

RAY

I don't want anyone looking at the screen/phone while they are driving either.

#20     Jan 9, 2007