Sad Relationship Story

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kmiklas, Oct 16, 2016.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

Chatting with a friend today, call her "Joan." She's a bit older; for whatever reason, she opened up to me about her life.

In her 20's, Joan was engaged to be married. She'd been dating the same guy for four years. A month and a half before the wedding, he broke it off. She was utterly heartbroken.

Two years later, and still alone, she met another guy. He was part of the 60's drug culture. After dating just 3 months, he asked her to marry him. She agreed... why not? there was nobody else around. They had a "hippie" wedding--whatever that means. Perhaps the most heart-rending part of the story was that her most vivid memory of the wedding was after the ceremony: drinking alone in the corner, sobbing, with a bottle... for a while. Apparently it's been a lonely marriage for her.

Her ex-fiancé? He married another... and promptly got divorced.

Joan and the ex are now close friends. He's told her 100 times that he never should have broken off the engagement.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

From my experience, loneliness is the most powerful emotion there is for most women. They will do almost anything to avoid being lonely for an extended period of time. And the thing that really sucks about loneliness is that it often comes right on the heels of heartbreak, like what your friend experienced. And that screws her up so much that she's almost incapable of making a rational relationship decision in the near future.

It's hard to say if her and the ex-fiance would have had a successful marriage though because he could have married her, and THEN found a new girl and subsequently filed for divorce which would have been a MUCH worse situation in the end than having the wedding cancelled and not marrying him at all.

kmiklas likes this.
  3. kmiklas

kmiklas

Thanks Baron. It was a tough story to hear... it was one of those where all I could do was sit and listen as, with tears in her eyes, she told the story of how her life played out.

I was surprised that she opened up to me like this. I've just been chatting about the weather and other mundane subjects at a diner with her for the past few years. She must have been hurting yesterday, and perhaps, resonating with your comment, is still lonely, and had no one else to talk to but me.

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

If she's feeling lonely in her current marriage, then obviously you are filling a void in her life by listening to her. The only problem with that is that she may become attracted to you over time if that continues on. Is she pretty good looking?

5. Is she pretty? The important question is "can she cook". You young fellas got your priorities mixed up:rolleyes:

KDASFTG likes this.
  6. kmiklas

kmiklas

1. She is attractive, for a 65-year old woman.
    2. She is still married. Perhaps to the wrong man, but still is.
    3. I am not young.
    4. No, she can't cook. That's why she's always at the diner eating, which is indirectly why I met her.

bullmarket79 likes this.
  7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

You mentioned she was in her 20's in your original post so when I first read it, I thought "Damn, she's been through a lot for a girl in her 20's." :wtf: :D

kmiklas likes this.
  8. MCben

MCben

Right you are! :thumbsup:

9. volente_00

volente_00

The real questions are

Are you married too ?
    Can her husband whip your ass ?

:sneaky:

Baron and kmiklas like this.
  10. She is frozen out deliberately, so she becomes the aggressor.

#10     Oct 21, 2016