SAC"s DEMARK finally speaks!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Jul 18, 2008.

1. EPrado

EPrado

Funny...a guy who doesnt have the balls to trade ripping on guys who ,regardless of their size, actually are in the market on a daily basis trading.

If they are minnows then you must be the string like material that comes out off their ass when they relieve themselves.

#21     Jul 19, 2008
  2. LOL, you guys make some good points, but hey, give the man his due.

Tom DeMark came up with some very interesting and creative ideas (which is one way to make money in this game), and he does have a high profile job with a major trading institution (and this is another) ... that's nothing to sneeze at fellas.

There are traders here who have sampled DeMarks materials and found them to be interesting and usefull ... as with all things, there is more than one way to skin a cat. However, if you do follow one method singularily, then it is best to diversy across multiple markets.

Market Surfer isn't so much trying to be controversial as he is just just creating an interesting thread about trading for the board to comment on, the way he gets the eyeballs on the thread is with the controversial title.

I sincerely doubt he's jealous of anyone, btw, he certainly has no reason to be.

#22     Jul 19, 2008
  3. Surf, I guess all these funds are 10-sigma events and all these returns (net of fees) with reasonable drawdowns are theoretically impossible according to your 'efficient market theory':

Winton Capital ($7.2 bln under management)
    [​IMG]

Lynx/Brummers AB ($1.7 bln under management)
    [​IMG]

Tulip Trend Fund C/Progressive Capital ($365 mln under management)
    [​IMG]

Transtrend ($1.9 bln under management)
    [​IMG]

Eckhardt Trading ($465 mln under management)
    [​IMG]

MAN AHL ($20+ bln under management)
    [​IMG]

#23     Jul 19, 2008
  4. A large part of every business is just talking your game ... a lot of these guys have more than one reason for making the statements that they do.

#24     Jul 19, 2008
  5. EPrado

EPrado

This is too easy......show me a trend follower with an 80 % drawdown? I am eagerly awaiting. Otherwise you are basically a liar.

What was VN's drawdown? 100 %...oh wait...he had to sell a good portion of his valuables during "I am a genius and sell SP Puts" Blowout Act I. So I guess his drawdown was like 150% huh?

#25     Jul 19, 2008

6. i have extensive experience trading, however, you are right, I don't trade much any more. I am a journalist ( hence i like to write) who has interviewed over 100 top traders and money managers--- plus in my role as a marketing agent for a FOF, i associate with multiple managers/traders/quants/etc. --- i would think my experience in the space qualifys me to comment.

by the way, i am not passing judgement on any trader or manager, merely asking questions about method that I believe is sub par and over hyped.

thanks,

surf

#26     Jul 19, 2008

7. very wise, MS, very wise.

surf:)

#27     Jul 19, 2008
  8. Aok

Aok

Exactly JJ.

If you dont believe your own B.S first, no one else will.

Tom Demark? I thought he was dead.

Surf you dont really believe that TD believes that SAC doesnt receive inside info?

#28     Jul 19, 2008
  9. Covert

Covert

Is that so?

Sounds like you actually ARE passing judgement.

In reality, I do believe that you are advancing the discussion, but I couldn't resist poking a little fun. I really can't imagine that someone as experienced with managers as you would use a 3 year window to determine if a strategy/manager is valid or not, but that's just my opinion.

As for your boy, VN, I come from the floor at the CME, and I was trading S&P futures when he blew out 2 (or was it 3) times ago. He had gotten to the point that he was having a harder and harder time finding clearing houses because of the antics he had been pulling. He was widely known for being more impressed with himself than others were of him by a factor of 2.
    See, it's not just the end result(blowing up three funds) that makes him distasteful, it's the journey to get there that does as well.
    Hubris Kills.

#29     Jul 19, 2008
  10. Surdo

Surdo

SAC was getting upgrades and downgrades before the trading desk of the firm making the call in the late 90's.

I have seen him have a stock hit while he was buying it at another firm during a negotiation of a block.

He is slimier than slime.

#30     Jul 19, 2008